lamp post keys.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

I'm in need of a lamp post key so i can get into the lamposts in my road for maintaince. Does anyone know where i can get one from? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I think you may need to get in touch with your local council street lighting department, before dabbling.........

Chris, unless you are a qualified spark, or deemed an Instructed Person by the supply authority, you WILL be commiting a potentially CRIMINAL ACT by interfering with a Street lamp, private road or not.

These lamps are fed via the local public ring, and as such the suplies are the legal property of the supply authority. Interfering with it could get you prosecuted.

Further, although the street is private, the public have de facto right of access, or no-one could visit etc, and as such the lamps will come under the Highways Amenities (Electrical Supplies) Act. Messing with that could also see you prosecuted.

You need to remember that the next fuse backing up these supplies will be rated at around 1200A or higher, depending on the transformer they are fed from, you mess up, and your arse will be toast.

Best call the local council, or the local supply company and see if they will help, if they say you can do it..get it in writing before doing anything.

Sponsored Links
FWL

I worked on a private road replacing street lamps and the supply actually comes off a separate domestic meter which is billed to one resident who then splits it 4 ways. The supply to the lights is completely seperate to the public ring.

1200A? That's a load of rubbish. LV feeders don't carry 1 MVA!

As for the key, make one from 1/2 in square bar, filed down to form a taper. Inside the post you'll find a cutout with a removable fuse like the one in your house.

Stod said:
1200A? That's a load of rubbish. LV feeders don't carry 1 MVA!

Typo..should have been 120A not 1200A...

Bet that is what you expected me to say but I do not need to as your talking out of your arse

last comment removed as unnecessary and uncalled for

securespark said:
FWL

I worked on a private road replacing street lamps and the supply actually comes off a separate domestic meter which is billed to one resident who then splits it 4 ways. The supply to the lights is completely seperate to the public ring.

Well if that is the situation where Chris is, then he is OK as it will be private property, but that needs to be clarified first.

I must have really upset FWL. He implies that I should have recognised the 1200 A as a typo and it should have been 120 A.

However:
* 120 A is not a standard fuse rating.
* 120 A is only a little bit higher than a household main fuse – if the distribution company protected their LV feeders with only a 120 A fuse they’d be replacing blown fuses all day!

Let’s face it FWL got it wrong, but can’t bring himself to admit it. Worse, he tries to pretend it was a typo and to convince you, the reader, that he was right all along by belittling someone who points out his error.

Finally, I apologise to readers for going off topic, but FWL should not escape from his insults without a response.

Stod said:
I must have really upset FWL. He implies that I should have recognised the 1200 A as a typo and it should have been 120 A.

However:
* 120 A is not a standard fuse rating.
* 120 A is only a little bit higher than a household main fuse – if the distribution company protected their LV feeders with only a 120 A fuse they’d be replacing blown fuses all day!

Let’s face it FWL got it wrong, but can’t bring himself to admit it. Worse, he tries to pretend it was a typo and to convince you, the reader, that he was right all along by belittling someone who points out his error.

Perhaps if you re-read my post you will see I was NOT saying it was a Typo....READ the thing properly.

I did NOT get it WRONG..you actually misread my reply..that simple.

Regarding the insults, I have edited them out as they were not called for...

I'm losing the plot here...

at 03:51 FWL_Engineer said:

at 13:22 FWL_Engineer said:
Perhaps if you re-read my post you will see I was NOT saying it was a Typo....READ the thing properly.

ban-all-sheds said:
I'm losing the plot here...

at 03:51 FWL_Engineer said:

at 13:22 FWL_Engineer said:

Ban..read the part I have since made into bold type..

Bet that is what you expected me to say but I do not need to as your talking out of your ****

I was saying that I bet he expected me to say it was a typo, which is was not, it was 100% spot-on..hence saying he was talking out of his ****.

FWL is spot on WRONG.

A typical distribution substation has a 1 MVA 11kV to 415/240 V transformer, running 1400 A per phase on full load. The transformer secondaries are directly connected to busbars and do not pass through 1200A or more fuses. Feeders are connected to the busbars by (at most) 400A HRC fuses. The transformer and busbars are protected by the 11 kV switchgear in the substation.

Stod said:
FWL is spot on WRONG.

A typical distribution substation has a 1 MVA 11kV to 415/240 V transformer, running 1400 A per phase on full load. The transformer secondaries are directly connected to busbars and do not pass through 1200A or more fuses. Feeders are connected to the busbars by (at most) 400A HRC fuses. The transformer and busbars are protected by the 11 kV switchgear in the substation.

So pray tell how do they supply higher rated supplies to buildings without taking in 11KV??

I have worked on the supply cable side of things, albeit about 10 years ago, and have seen how things are set-up for myself.

Different Tx kit has different set-ups depending on the supplies it is providing, the size of the final supplies and age of the equipment.

I have a Transformer about 150 yards from my home that has an 11Kv?415V Tx installed, the output of this Tx is protected by THREE 1200A HRC fuses. The supplies feed the nearby cottages and the street lighting.

Further, in the City (as in LONDON) there are a number of transformers with 2MVa 400V outputs, I will concede these are rarely installed these days, but not exactly hard to find.

Spod, just because you have seen on Tx, doesn't mean they are all the same.

Further, most units that do supply street furniture in town centres do have 1200A HRC fuses, at least in the south they do. That is not to say that they may not be fused down elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back