Lamp post timer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Our lamp post/street lights all go off at midnight, my question is, where is the timer?

Andy

Sponsored Links
In the street lighting control cabinet, it contains breakers, timers and suchlike.

Sponsored Links
There is no timer in there, do you think someone goes around every six months and adjusts the timers so that they all go off EXACTLY the same time??

Andy

I'll ask my mate he works on the lamps but hates it he said its boring.

He's over qualified, he used to be UXB engineer for the army.

There is no timer in there, do you think someone goes around every six months and adjusts the timers so that they all go off EXACTLY the same time??

Andy
You don't know what you don't know, & that's OK if your mind is open to any possible information.

You have asked a question & I'm just guessing here, because you don't know the answer . . . . .!

Wherever you are at this moment in time there are possibly 100's if not 1000's of lamp posts in your immediate vicinity.

Did you know that statistically every one of those lamp posts was made by 1 of 3 companies?

Did you know that Dork is an investor in each of those Co's?

Depends on the system installed and used by the Council concerned. Here's one example of smart street lighting controls.

Google / Bing / "your search engine of choice" will find more.

Ask your Council for more info on that which is installed locally?

I know there was a time-clock in the base of the concrete lamp-post outside my house back in the 80s/90s; and no they didn't go round adjusting them at all frequently.

You don't know what you don't know, & that's OK if your mind is open to any possible information.

You have asked a question & I'm just guessing here, because you don't know the answer . . . . .!

Wherever you are at this moment in time there are possibly 100's if not 1000's of lamp posts in your immediate vicinity.

Did you know that statistically every one of those lamp posts was made by 1 of 3 companies?

@Dork Lard - I do know that a lot of people on here think that you are a Walter Mitty character!

I asked a question hoping to get answers from people that know the answer and not just people who would guess! The lamp posts in question do not have timers in them.

Also, if you are saying you are an invester in them, I do not think you should be guessing!

Andy

I'm sure they used to have timers, similar to the old Sangamo ones like this
s-l400.jpg

@Dork Lard - I do know that a lot of people on here think that you are a Walter Mitty character!

I asked a question hoping to get answers from people that know the answer and not just people who would guess! The lamp posts in question do not have timers in them.

Also, if you are saying you are an invester in them, I do not think you should be guessing!

Andy
You are of course absolutely correct to not believe a word I say. This is after all soshal meedya.

"All of the lamp posts in the UK are switched on & off by trained squirrels."

There are nuts are stored inside the lamp post & the higher the post then the more nuts there are, if/when the squirrel switches the lamp on/off at the correct time it is rewarded with a nut. Squirrels like nuts. Why we don't have a 'disco' effect resulting from this approach nobody knows, not even the scientific physicists employed by the 3x main lamp post manufacturers.

Of course you already know this don't you? Simply because you seem to be asking a question, the answer to which you already know

The first electric streetlights were switched by hand - the former gaslighters did it.

Next came the solar dial time clock
1689533661507.png

These are quite clever mechanical time switches which had the ability to automatically change the switch ON & switch OFF times to match the changing times of sunrise & sunset. Some of these also had a spring reserve that would carry the timer through power cuts.

Around the late 1970s came the first photo-electric switches - these would turn the lamp on & off automatically depending upon the daylight level. Various generations of these existed, some of which included a midnight off option - the device would, over a period of a few nights after power on, deduce when the middle of the night was & turn off for a preset number of hours.
1689533990386.png

The latest method is to use a radio based control system. This allows individual control of a streetlight although they are often grouped to allow control of a number of streets or even the whole town. The most sophisticated systems also allow for dimming of the lamps.

why do you want to know this?

just curious

One of the lamp posts in our street had a faulty cover and fell off, I had a quick look inside and coundn't see any sort of timer and was wondering how they all turned off at the same time.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Back