Land Ownership.

Quick look through your link, you must give.... intention to aquire,,, Animus possidendi.amongst other things. ie, avertise it.

Sponsored Links
Don't see where it stipulates you advertise. You only need notify the Registrar - his duty is to notify interested parties not yours..

As yours like mine is unregistered there is nobody to advertise too.

You ever see adverts like that in the local press, local shop windows etc?. I certainly havent.

Toptec, the more you learn,and share your experience, i benifit, i am not trying to prove you wrong.

Just trying to say, be careful, put that e.g. £ 2 grand fence up, then got told it's in the wrong place.

Land grab has been around for a long time.

Sponsored Links
Well if you believe joe they have now as they are all over here ;)

Toptec, the more you learn,and share your experience, i benifit, i am not trying to prove you wrong.

Just trying to say, be careful, put that e.g. £ 2 grand fence up, then got told it's in the wrong place.

Sorry if my post sounded sharp, didn't intend that. :oops:

The ironic thing is in my case I am not that bothered about adopting the strip. I just want the darned trees lopped. If I have to do it myself then I shall effectively be taking control of it.

You are in a much stronger position than me buddy, I might be toes up in 10 years. ;)

No need to spend 2K either, a simple wooden stake & wire fence will be adequate. AFAIK the main thing is that you adopt the land & tend it as your own.

I have a strip of land, about 30 feet wide bordering the base of my garden. This includes a small brook and some very mature 100 foot ash trees. I have been trying to ascertain ownership to arrange pruning of these trees. They are not subject to a TPO.

Local council says not them. Local factory which borders the other side say not them. Land Registry says the land is unregistered.
Whoever sold the land on which your house or the factory was built presumably kept this piece of land back to prevent the removal of the trees.

There are companies who specialize in finding out the true owners of unregistered land, but they charge a fee - I've seen £150 quoted. Do a google for "owner unregistered land"

If I lop the trees, clean out the brook and maintain the strip adjoining my boundary, does anybody have any idea how long does it take to revert into my ownership? I know at some point I would need to get it formally registered.
It does not revert to your ownership as you did not originally own the land. If you occupy the land, i.e incorporate it into your garden in some way and make use of the land - pruning the trees would probably count - you can apply to the Land Registry after 10 years for the land to be registered in your name. They have to notify the registered owner but, as there isn't one, I doubt if they will spend any time trying to locate the owner. After another two years you can apply again and the land will be automatically registered in your name.

See Adverse Possession

This is from a Solicitors' website:

Unregistered Land

For unregistered land the rules are unchanged and derive their legal basis from the Limitation Act 1980. The effect of the Limitation Act 1980 is to extinguish the title of the paper owner if a claimant can show the following:-

1. The claimant has been in possession of the land for a minimum of 12 years; and

2. Possession is without the paper owner’s consent; and

3. The claimant had the necessary intention to possess the land in question.

On the expiry of twelve years from the date on which the claimant takes possession of the land, the paper owner loses the right to take action for recovery of possession of the land. At that point the claimant is entitled to apply to the Land Registry to be registered as the proprietor.

If you go ahead with taking possession and, after 12 years, get it registered in your name, it would be worthwhile getting your existing property and the acquired piece registered as a single piece of land. It will prevent problems later on when you come to sell. You will have to inform the mortgagee, if you have a mortgage.

Sponsored Links
Back