Landing light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stairs in house going to be split landing stairs with gallery all around. Above this plan to put a light fitting.
Only trouble is access to change bulbs etc.

My question is,is there any light fitting or device that can be lowered down or accessed from above, or even led type fitting which would last for years?

Sponsored Links
Not the answer your looking for but reading your post made me think of the only fools & horses episode with the chandelier " undo the nut now grandad".........crash.

Sorry childish I know but made me chuckle.

Hi Selfbuildy.
there are some LED type lights that are based on the GU10 halogen fittings, mains voltage, current consuption of approx. 1.8W. Cost about a 10er each but would they throw enough light on the stairs. Regards, Hairyjon.
P.S. Nice one Comms!!

Why not feed the pendant flex straight through the rose into the loft, clamp it to a joist, but with plenty of slack to allow the fitting to be lowered down for bulb changing? Use JB in loft for connection.

Sponsored Links
Chris.J said:
Why not feed the pendant flex straight through the rose into the loft, clamp it to a joist, but with plenty of slack to allow the fitting to be lowered down for bulb changing? Use JB in loft for connection.

if you do this then i'd replace the guts of the rose with a peice of plastic conduit that went right up into the loft. dragging cables against plaster makes a lot of dust!

also i'd advise using something with a cord grip (roses don't actually support the flex that much) to make the connection in the loft in case you accidently drop the wire whilst trying to raise/lower it

finally you'll wan't to mark the flex so you know when you've lowered it the right ammount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back