Landlord wants me to pay bill for investigation of gas leak

I informed the landlord; he ( eventually) instructed a fitter ( who has previously fixed the gas fire ). Gas Board had capped supply due to smell; fitter could not get round very quickly and although I'd offered to call out another engineer he declined; the fitter arrived four days later. Couldn't find leak, remained capped, as I could smell gas at the time. Made a total of three visits and after his third visit, I could no longer smell gas and so the supply was reinstated.

I've repeatedly told you that, as I'd said I could smell gas, the supply as left capped. It wasn't my decision, but that of "professionals".

A landlord is expected to have any repairs carried out within a reasonable time

As is a tenant. Four days before his chosen fitter could attend? Hmmm...

Are you saying you could still smell gas after it had been caped for several days/weeks.

Did the engineer when he did turn up have a gas sniffer.

Sponsored Links
Once it was capped I couldn't smell anything BUT when the kit was inspected and then uncapped, the smell returned => getting capped again => recall fitter...

I don't know if he had a sniffer BUT he did have what looked like a small vacuum cleaner - would this be it?

Sorry can't help with the 'chapter and verse' part - I'm sure searches on the web will be more fruitful.

I am with the OP though.

Apart from responsibly reporting possible leaks - so wouldn't expect a bill (I never claim a leak, I report "smell of gas" and transco understand) - I do think the run of reports/action lend themselves to the OP being right, i.e. smell gas, get it capped off, no more smells; sort of proves it so.

NB. Also with my own sensitive nose, the explosive gas detectors are a pain for BG (as was) as these will detect a far smaller proportion of gas than is unsafe - and then there's the stench agent which can linger for ages (even after a proper repair).

Sponsored Links
The landlord is responsible legally, you have the best intentions there's no way on this earth you would pay. Tell him / her to take you to court...they won't. If he starts bullying you then take him to court

OP, here is a suggestion. Look at the gas meter. It will have a label on it that advises you to call the number on it should you smell gas. You have done so. If I were in your shoes, I would talk to relevant authority regards lack of landlords gas safety report (if there was none) for starters.

Then I would check the 'gas fitter' holds current Gas Safe registration

I still went to a same day repair today even though I spent half the night in Addis and the other half sitting beside the widow!

OP, here is a suggestion. Look at the gas meter. It will have a label on it that advises you to call the number on it should you smell gas. You have done so. If I were in your shoes, I would talk to relevant authority regards lack of landlords gas safety report (if there was none) for starters.

Then I would check the 'gas fitter' holds current Gas Safe registration

The fitter is GS registered - I checked early on in the proceedings!

The LL is not the nicest person to deal with. Has, for example, entered the premises without asking my permission, then denied it. When I said I was sure he had been in as some of his kit had been removed, he went quiet...

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I think I know how I'm going to approach this - and say *why* I'm not paying - but I expect his response will be to give me Notice....

National Grid test the installation twice and said there was no leak.

That is not what they say at all. The 2 minute leak test is to see if there is a leak that exceeds the permissible limits. So, you might have a gas installation that passes that test (leak below permissible limit OR no detectable leakage) and which causes a smell of gas on random occasions.

If the installation passes that leak test, they will still cap it if there is a smell of gas. They have a duty to stop the escape of gas and a failed pressure test OR a smell of gas will result in them isolating the supply.

They will not trace the source of a leak, it's not their responsibility. They will not leave any written record since the above tests are not conclusive. The smell of gas could be from somewhere other than the isolated gas installation.

In one case, Transco (as was) pressure tested an installation (passed) and isolated it because there was a smell of gas in the meter cupboard. It transpired, after the gas installation had been replaced, that the smell of gas was from their corroded service pipe, upstream of the meter. BG had known their mains in the area were corroded and leaking; they had sprayed the mains internally with sealant.

BG Transco said the tests listed above would identify any leak; BG Transco were incompetent. The DG of the HSE said the tests listed above would identify any leak; the HSE is incompetent.

For what its worth I,m with Dan on this one, Pilot or Gas valve letting by on back boiler.

We will never know!

The OP seems to have said that "something" was done to the BBU and now he smells no gas.

Tony

The back burner was stripped down and reassembled. From what others here have said, that could well be enough to stop the leak.

For what its worth I'm with Dan on this one, Pilot or Gas valve letting by on back boiler.

Probably, but we'll never know for sure and the landlord or gas fitter won't tell us.

The back burner was stripped down and reassembled. From what others here have said, that could well be enough to stop the leak.

The Gas Safe man had to trace the source of the leak and fix it. I'd suspect he had a gas detector or leak detection fluid about his person, found a leak and then dismantled the back boiler to fix it. I'd doubt that he dismantled the boiler in the hope that would fix the problem. The landlord hasn't told you about that bit.

You could ask for the itemised invoices for all the gas fitter's visits.

I wouldn't pay it, whatever they said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back