Gas leak caused by registered gas safety engineer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so basically I had a brand new gas cooker installed in my new property 7th Jan 2023 by a gas safety registered engineer, come April time (can't remember exact date) my boiler (unrelated to this I think) broke down so had no gas over the weekend until parts was ordered by my landlord (Housing association) so I did a creep test on my gas meter to see if there was any issues with the gas in the property as my gas bill each month is nearly £300 since moving here (3 bed semi detached house) my meter reading was going up even though I hadn't used any gas appliances ,so I rang my energy supplier who said call cadent it's a gas leak (couldn't smell a thing) turns out there was a leak at my meter and one on my cooker ,they cut the supply of at the property and I now had to pay someone to fix this leak so my landlord could fix the boiler ,because of this gas safety can't investigate his work, the guy I got out to fix the leak was also gas safety registered and said there was hardly any ptfe or paste which caused the leak which couldn't of been caused by me? The guy who originally installed it is having none of it, won't refund me or pay for the work I've had to pay for to fix it or admit he's at fault ,he seems to think I've cause the leak, can I go to a solicitor about this as this isn't fair that he's still allowed to carry on working knowing what he did ,thanks

Sponsored Links
This is the test

Attachments

• received_1413605185845995.jpeg
    received_1413605185845995.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 95
You calling that a gas leak?
What was the test time
So the pressure has ‘risen ‘ from 19.81 to 19.84 or gone the other way and in what interval?
What makes you think another installer is not going to be judgemental.

If that’s the only evidence you have, then there’s not much a solicitor would do, imo. However, I know Cadent usually always leave paperwork, but this again doesn’t prove much. As per @DP - that may have risen by 0.3 mbar. Who did that test?

Sponsored Links
Are you a qualified gas engineer? Is this a joke? If you're not and this isn't a joke, then what why are you doing your own TT?

Is P1 the start reading and P2 the end reading after the allotted time has passed?

You would only have a case if you have physical proof/evidence that the original installer was negligent and left things dangerous.

You calling that a gas leak?
What was the test time
So the pressure has ‘risen ‘ from 19.81 to 19.84 or gone the other way and in what interval?
What makes you think another installer is not going to be judgemental.
I am not a gas engineer I haven't got a clue what this all means ,I'm just showing the tester he came out with ,i cant attach a video it wont allow but il screenshot the video and atach it of the gas leak at the cooker , possibly they could , but he's made it clear and sent all photo and video evidence to me that this isn't something I have caused

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230508-231328_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230508-231328_Gallery.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 128
If that’s the only evidence you have, then there’s not much a solicitor would do, imo. However, I know Cadent usually always leave paperwork, but this again doesn’t prove much. As per @DP - that may have risen by 0.3 mbar. Who did that test?
Yes they've left a report , but yes as you say doesn't prove much. I don't want any money from it I just want it investigating into as this could of been alot more serious

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Are you a qualified gas engineer? Is this a joke? If you're not and this isn't a joke, then what why are you doing your own TT?

Is P1 the start reading and P2 the end reading after the allotted time has passed?

You would only have a case if you have physical proof/evidence that the original installer was negligent and left things dangerous.
No I an not gas registered and no this is not my tester. I will attach the photo of the leak , video won't upload , I do have proof of the other gas safety guy who rectified his mistakes , it was something I couldn't of caused as the guy who installed it is trying to claim, the way he's acted about me asking for him to come and fix the leak, fully refusing to take alot saying he's been doing the job for 20 years I must be lying, gas register can't look into as I payed someone else to come out , so yes my next option would probably be solicitors ot trading standards if that's something I can go to for this, I don't really know but i am not happy about just leaving it when he quite frankly could of killed us.

Of course and if he has made things dangerous then there is a process but the guy who came to see if should have followed that. If there was a gas fitting left dangerous then there is a procedure that he should have followed called RIDDOR that would have then incorporated the HSE and ultimately Gas Safe. Could they do that in retrospect, not sure if there is a time limit on it or not, no harm in them calling the HSE and asking I guess. Is your landlord not getting involved with this?

Is it gas safe themselves that are saying they can't take it further as you have payed someone to fix it? Again if there is no actual evidence then it's all just 'he said, she said' I'm afraid, if it's just the other gas guy. Not ideal I know but these days evidence is required.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
is that bayonet facing up the way ? was the pipe it was attached to properly clipped to the wall as that elbow is not the fitting that should be used when fitting a cooker .
should be using either of these
straight-wallplate-adaptor-15mm-end-feed-x-1-2-bsp-t-f-13686-2_min_13686_P_1.jpg
angled-wallplate-adaptor-15mm-end-feed-x-1-2-bsp-t-f-0985-2_min_0985_P_1.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
I am not a gas engineer I haven't got a clue what this all means ,I'm just showing the tester he came out with ,i cant attach a video it wont allow but il screenshot the video and atach it of the gas leak at the cooker , possibly they could , but he's made it clear and sent all photo and video evidence to me that this isn't something I have caused

Have you approached the original guy who did the work.
The tester readings and the leak ( shown in the picture) make no sense ie if the leak is there then the tester should have shown a much lower reading, unless the last chap was covering his tail with test and photographed the final readings, after fixing the leak he found

is that bayonet facing up the way ? was the pipe it was attached to properly clipped to the wall as that elbow is not the fitting that should be used when fitting a cooker .
should be using either of these
View attachment 303115View attachment 303116
Had I known you were up at that time, I could have phoned you to mull over the worldly problems :giggle:
Went for a meal in Helensburgh with wife and daughter ( staying at the Cameron lodge). Could not sleep after consuming the excellent food

Attachments

• received_780952692986236.jpeg
    received_780952692986236.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 77
  • received_684917399868875.jpeg
    received_684917399868875.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 73
  • received_795338338355930.jpeg
    received_795338338355930.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 69
  • received_5776146285762954.jpeg
    received_5776146285762954.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 88
Had I known you were up at that time, I could have phoned you to mull over the worldly problems :giggle:
Went for a meal in Helensburgh with wife and daughter ( staying at the Cameron lodge). Could not sleep after consuming the excellent food
Your on wrong link

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back