gas leak - within limits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my gas meter changed yesterday and was told that I have a minor gas leak, which is apparently "within limits". The gas man disconnected the meter anyway.

The problem is that I am about to rent the house out. Does having a minor leak that is within limits mean that I can still let it out? Or am I about to have to spend an absolute fortune having a corgi registered guy track down and repair the leak?

When the gas man disconnected the meter he said that as the leak was within limits it was "up to me what I did but he still had to disconnect it anyway". I should have thought to ask him at the time about this, I know.

I hope I've posted this in the right place.

Cheers,

:?:

Sponsored Links
If it's within limits why did he disconnect the meter, or was that what he was there to do?.

There are acceptable limits within which you need take no action as long as there is no smell of gas. The pressure drops are dependant o which meter you have.

If you're letting you need a Landlords Gas Safety Record, done by a Corgi. Meter changers don't need to be corgi regd , and always err on the side of caution. "Cause for concern" is enough for them to shut you off.

Leak OK? - It depends what's connected. If nothing, then no leak at all is permitted. Not up to the Transco man to go looking, I think.

Go by what the LGSR man says. If any leak is outside the limits, it's serious.

A slight amount of leakage is permissible with appliances connected, but not if the appliances are isolated. This is because appliances like cookers have lots of gas taps which cannot all be expected to be 100% gas tight. However the pipework itself should be 100% gas tight.

If I was called in to do a Landlords Gas Safety Record I would investigate by first isolating all appliances to determine if the leak was on the pipework or not. If it was on the pipework I'm afraid the leak would have to be tracked down and repaired or replaced.

However you might well find other Corgis who would take a more relaxed view and accept the slight leakage. It can be extremely difficult if the gas supply runs from a basement meter to an upper flat, passing through other flats on the way.

Sponsored Links
Meter changers DO meed to be CORGI registered and they have the MET 1 module of the ACS.

However many long term meter changers will only have that qualification and will not have the qualifications, experience or registration to allow them to investigate or give advice in leaks within a property. He has to disconnect because it might be leaking pipework.

Your CORGI who comes to do the Gas Certificate will be able to trace the leak and advise what needs to be done.

She said:- """I about to have to spend an absolute fortune having a corgi registered guy track down and repair the leak.""" Why do we have this reputation???

When a solicitor or accountant charges £300 per hour IN HIS OWN OFFICE then I dont think that a gas engineer who comes out to your flat, traces the leak and does the Certificate and charges about £50-£100 is excessive.

Tony

But it's an existing installation, why would he need to follow the tightness test procedure for new / extended installations?

This type of thing is quite common because they don't want any come back for the appliances, and as already been mentioned you need a Landlords certificate anyway so who ever does that wiil check for soundness. In the Manchester area it will cost you between £40 and £75 for the LGSC.

ollski said:
But it's an existing installation, why would he need to follow the tightness test procedure for new / extended installations?
-
Corgi's [i]Essential Gas Safety[/i] (page 102 in 2003 edition) said:
"No perceptible pressure loss" is required where ...... d) only the meter/pipework of an existing installation is being tested (or) e) all appliances are isolated from the meter/pipework.

chrishutt said:
ollski said:
-
Corgi's [i]Essential Gas Safety[/i] (page 102 in 2003 edition) said:
"No perceptible pressure loss" is required where ...... d) only the meter/pipework of an existing installation is being tested (or) e) all appliances are isolated from the meter/pipework.

I know Chris, 0.5 mb no smell of gas on new or extended installations, but this is existing. I don't have met1 so don't know the procedure, but would imagine its a tighness test before you start and another when you finish on an existing installation with the 4 / 8 mb drop & no smell of gas rule.....am I wrong?

As far as I know the requirement is as set out above in the Corgi book, which refers to existing installations (I've highlighted existing in the original quote to make it clearer).

The 4/8mb drop is only acceptable on existing installations with appliances connected. The implication is that the gas leak is acceptable only if it is on an appliance, not the pipework.

dont forget thats with no perceptalble smell of gas.

on pipework only defo no drop permitted

Yes, as far as we know the leak is with appliances connected. But the point is the poster needs a Corgi RGI to reconnect the gas (and do an LGSR).

If the RGI does his job properly, he will attempt to identify the source of the leak by isolating the appliances, testing the pipework, then adding in the appliances one at a time until the pressure drop occurs. If he finds that the pressure drop occurs with all appliances isolated, he will not be able to reconnect the gas supply within finding and curing the leak.

The alternative approach is to check that the pressure drop is within acceptable limits with appliances connected and then reconnect the gas supply without making any attempt to trace the leak. But would this be a responsible thing to do, especially for rented accommodation?

chrishutt said:
The alternative approach is to check that the pressure drop is within acceptable limits with appliances connected and then reconnect the gas supply without making any attempt to trace the leak. But would this be a responsible thing to do, especially for rented accommodation?

I guess it must be, after all that is what is set down in the regs.

ollski said:
But the appliances are connected though aren't they?

is my patard and i am hoisted apon it

Cheers oilski I will follow the ancronym RTFQ from now on :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back