landscapers or pavers please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been getting quotes for quite a big job (quotes range from about 14-17000)The job consists of about 60% paving 30% chippings and 10% walling. Im wondering if any landscapers/pavers can give me a quick list of questions i should be asking potential workmen before i part with my hard earned cash. Just to make sure i dont get ripped off.

Sponsored Links
A few points for you to consider, which i always give customers

make sure they are fixed price quotes and not estimates, and they state wether they include the vat. make sure its on headed paper with a landline number on it. Check the landline number, use it to ring them next time you talk to them, not just the mobile.

make sure the quote details exactly what you are getting, the areas and the specifications. eg railway sleepers - what grade, new or reclaimed, creosted or untreated, softwood or hardwood etc

can they give references, contact numbers for them, photos or let you go and see other work. Go and see the work, you are spending a lot of money, and talk to other people. Do they turn up regualarly, do they turn up on time? Do they clear up at the end of the day? do they take their boots off if they come in the house? do they charge for every little extra?
do they walk around ffiing and blinding? were there any problems. If you speak to someone ask to go and see the the work theyve done, you could be speaking to his wife or aunty for all you know!

ask how they intend to bed the slabs, check the manufacturers website for instuctions on the slabs your getting (various slabs have different recomendations.

ask about the order of work, when they are starting, how long it will take, and if they are commited to your job only. Ask how many will be working on it, to give some idea of the timescale. Having said that a one man band can do a job better and quicker than a larger company that employs a couple of oickes. Ask their hours of working.

Dont be swayed by membership of trade associations, it doesnt always mean a lot.

Getting a feeling for the people that come to see you. Is it an estimator or is it the gut that will actually carry out the work. I see my customers personally, and carry out a lot of the work myself. That seems to reflect well in the feedback i get from customers, when they accept my quotes. Is it the sort of person you can reason with if there is a problem or do you feel intimidated.

on a larger job i ask for deposit on the day i commence work, usually in the form of a cheque. its normally only enough to cover a few days work, and the cost of the skip, but it proves to me people are capable of writing a cheque, but it proves to them that i have done some work and im serious about the job when i turn up on site with all the kit and start things moving. Be a bit wary of someone who asks for a large cheque before thye even turn up.

ask how they would resolve or rectify any problems, during or after the work. Better to know now than when the problems occur.

Ask how they want payment and at what stages, and agree it in advance.

Ask how they will carry out certain aspects of the work, ie if theres a manhole cover in the way, ask them how they will deal with it. Ask about the height of the paving next to the house ion relation to the damp proof course. How will the slabs be grouted?
consider theyre avaliability. If they can start next week, why? This is the busiest time of the year and im booked out until mid september now, if they cant start for a while, why are they not getting any jobs?

I hope that gives you a guide ;)

glad i spent so much time on this post to get a reply of thanks!

Never mind, it's appreciated by others, thanks :)

Sponsored Links
very good information to which i hope you dont mind that i have copied and saved it as i'm looking into a lot of building work in the near future.
Your time and effort is appreciated here.

your welcome, just annoys me sometimes that people give up their time to put on long answers for people and the original poster doesnt even have the courtesy to reply.

manners maketh the man/women

hi I have just been laying a patio and would advise you not to get cheap paving slabs as the ones i had to laye were made of cement and had alot of pebles in then wich ment that it is impossible to get a staight cut and the grinder disks wore out very quickly they also were bowd in the middle.

also ask about drainage and get the builders to give you an itemised quote so that you can fairly judge wich is the best quote.

work out a staggerd payment so that you pay when each stage is completed.

also find out if they have all the tools for the job or if they will have to hirer them.

if you do alot of the prep work i.e. removeing top soil, clearing garden, removeing plant roots ect you can save your self a bit of money but digging up and leveling is hard work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back