Lantern is very dim and has a slight flicker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling lantern which takes multiple bulbs. I am using led candles. It has been working fine but I've now noticed that its very dim, even though the dimmer is on full and has a slight flicker. I have changed the bulbs but this hasn't helped.

I was wondering if this is a tell-tale sign of a defective dimmer switch in which case, I can purchase one in anticipation of replacing it.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
2 questions
Does the dimmer have a minimal load rating, below which it'll fail to function
Are the LEDs rated as suitable for dimming

Oh, and how long is "It has been working fine..."

I will get back to you on the dimmer rating question.

The current bulbs have been working fine for almost a year. This may implicitly answer the rating question perhaps...

Power off, take the 2 wires out of the dimmer and connect together in a terminal block, power on.
If the light stays on properly, the dimmer is faulty.

Sponsored Links
I can try that and I can try with a spare light switch I have. Are the symptoms I’m describing conistent with a failed dimmer? If this is likely, I could buy one and have this to hand. Saving me a further trip.

Thanks for your help

With the dimmer, can someone please provide a steer on which one I require. they range from £6 - £50!.
I just need a white one to work with a ceiling lantern which has 4 LED candle bulbs in it. I think 8W per bulb or something in that order. Thanks again.

They often have a minimum wattage of 40w below which they will quickly fail (op has 32w in the lamp) which may explain the current failure.

Varilight Data for V-Pro range (including JQP401W) said:
V-Pro dimmers are designed to control LED lighting loads requiring trailing-edge or leading-edge control with options from 0W-120W (max. 10 LEDs) and from 0W-300W (max. 30 LEDs)

Note the zero minimum wattage for all this range of dimmers.

Whilst some dimmers do, indeed, have a minimum load. In such cases, trying to use them with loads less than the minimum may result in their not working (properly, or at all), but I very much doubt that it would result in damage to ( 'failure' of) the dimmer.

Kind Regards, John

Note the zero minimum wattage for all this range of dimmers.

Whilst some dimmers do, indeed, have a minimum load. In such cases, trying to use them with loads less than the minimum may result in their not working (properly, or at all), but I very much doubt that it would result in damage to ( 'failure' of) the dimmer.

Kind Regards, John
Not the summers suggested .

Guys, am I still ok to go with the Varlight dimmer suggested above?

Read the screwfix reviews, it appears it can be used with led but you may have to programme/set it up,
using the instructions

ae235

Last edited:
Update - thanks for all the help. As suggested, I initially connected the two wires in a terminal block. This proved that the existing dimmer was faulty. I then used a MK switch that I had to hand and will replace with dimmer tomorrow. Thanks again.

One question: there was no where on the switch (I assume the dimmer will be the same) or on the metal housing to terminate the earth cable. I have used a terminal block for the earth wire. Is that the right thing to do?

If the dimmer is mounted on a plastic front there will be no earth connection on the dimmer as its usually all plastic, if the dimmer is mounted on a metal wall box, then your earth wire should connect to that metal box, usually on a terminal at the back of it in the corner, older boxes sometimes need to be drilled and the cable lugged on, this in turn earths the screws when the front plates fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back