Lap top wont power up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The cat chewed through the charger cable and it fused. I got a new charger and the charging light comes on on the computer, the battery is charged. But, the laptop won't power up. Is there an internal fuse thats blown. If not will it be something like the motherboard. The cat is OK, only 8 lives left now.

Sponsored Links
It should not have affected the laptop itself.

Do the lights on the laptop come on when you plug the psu in?
(there should be one to say its charging).

What make & model laptop is it?

Have you got the correct charger?

I ad a similar problem to this with my works laptop. Turned out the small internal battery was U/S. Once that was fixed it ran for a few months before I had the same problem again. Tech guy had a look and found out the HDD was U/S. Ahh well at least I got a new laptop till they made me redundant. :)

try removing the battery, give it a few seconds (say 10) and power up from the charger alone, then once booted put the battery back in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you guys for replying to my post. Special thanks to timtheenchanter you were spot on, fixed the problem straight off. :D

What are you like with dishwashers ha ha

Thanks again,

Scooterboy

Hi Tim,

looks like a might have spoken too soon about my laptop being fixed. I did as you said, took the battery out, left it for 10 seconds, plugged in the supply and it powered up, great. However, when I came to try and start it up again, nothing, and your magic trick won't work now. Do you know what it is? Maybe I didn't let the battery charge up enough. Do I have to leave it a couple of days to let any internal power drain off? I think the battery is OK but am not completely sure.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Scooterboy

As I said before, make & model?

Knowing this helps, as there are faults specific to certain laptops.

Does it work if you power it without the battery in?

Hi again,

If I take the battery out and leave it a few days it powers up from the charger without the battery. I can then put the battery back in and it charges the battery and holds the charge (not the battery then). I can also restart the laptop using shutdown/restart. But, if I shut it down completely I can not start it again, even by taking the battery out. The only way i can restart is by leaving it for a couple of days again. The laptop must be holding a charge somewhere which has to runs down.

Any ideas?

The act of taking the battery out and leaving it a while normally causes capacitors in the laptop circuitry to discharge, the same effect can be forced by removing the battery and mains power and holding the power button down for approx 10 seconds.

If you continualy have to do this to get it to boot then I suspect damage to the circuitry in the laptop. Most if not all laptops have a charge controller / voltage regulator either hardwired in the motherboard or plugged in via a module, likelyhood is that it is that which is damaged.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply. Can this regulator be replaced or does it mean I have to buy a new motherboard?

I dont mind taking it somewhere to get it fixed I just don't want to get ripped off for a big repair if its something that can be fixed easily.

Cheers,

Scooterboy

I had a simular problem with my laptop a few months ago. It said it was charging but it wasnt. I thought i may need to buy a new charger but it was actually the little bit where the charger goes in. A friend of mine replaced this bit on the side of the laptop and now its fine.

Hi there anoakes,

Thanks for the reply, this is quite an old post now. Unfortunately I wasn't as lucky as you, turned out I needed a new motherboard - ouch!

Scooterboy.

Sponsored Links
Back