Lawnmower battery charger not working - Any idea what to check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine who has a very little garden own a 36v Qualcast battery mower. Nice little toy for a small garden. He asked me to check what`s wrong with the charger as taken the mower out of the shed put the battery to charge but nothing go live. no light nothing. Battery showing as poor charge due of not use since last year. Checked plug fuse on the battery charger and checked if power goes inside. No fuse on the charger motherboard. Not sure what else to check before telling him to bin it :)

Sponsored Links
If you have power going into charger ,you need to test if you have 36 dcv coming out .If you have a meter set it to DC volts and check output to battery

If you have power going into charger ,you need to test if you have 36 dcv coming out .If you have a meter set it to DC volts and check output to battery

Checked, Nothing is coming out but do not understand where can have stopped. No sign of burn on the motherboard. What else can be checked?

If you have power in no fusses blown and no power out must be the charger , it could be any thing from a faulty transistor to any other part in there does not need a burn mark to be faulty

Sponsored Links
In the main battery chargers are switch mode in design, this means the whole device works in a circle, and any brake in the circle will cause it to fail, you can't as with old battery charges start at supply and go step by step with a meter, if it can be repaired likely done by replacing a module rather than a single component. In the main you can't repair them.

You don't say what battery type, with non lead acid one needs to be very careful, over charging a NiMh battery can cause it to explode, even with valve regulated lead acid you need to be careful. But at least with Lead Acid you can charge as three 12 volt batteries.

But even a simple car charger has safety built in which can stop you being able to charge a battery, mine will not work if battery voltage below 7.6 volts with a 12 volt battery, and auto shuts off at 16 volt, and putting a meter on the output will measure nothing until connected to a battery.

I selected a mower at random and read
Samsung 36V Lithium-ion cells ensure a reliable and long life battery performance

I would say you need to find some one with same mower, and try their battery in your charger, and your battery in their charger that is only real way to work out if battery or charger at fault.

Our GTECH chargers will have no output without a battery connected so you can't really test a lot.

A friend of mine who has a very little garden own a 36v Qualcast battery mower......Not sure what else to check before telling him to bin it :)

Surely you could persuade him to buy and try a new charger before binning the whole kit; but if you do want to throw it away, please throw it in my direction.:D(y)

Back