Erbauer battery charger problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve had an Erbauer 18v cordless drill combo for a few years and always been able to charge the batteries without issue. However when i inserted one of the batteries the other day there was a ‘pop’ and a burning smell from the charger and it wouldn’t work..no lights on, nothing, totally dead. It wasn’t the plug fuse as there was burning smell from inside the charger itself as of something had blown inside.
I bought a second hand charger, the same model and you guessed it.. plugged it in, the green light came on.. however when i went to slot the battery in the same thing happened and this charger is blown and unusable now ‍♂️.. any ideas as to what the problem might be?….all other electrical appliances in the house work without issue

Sponsored Links
i would say the battery is the problem how old is it and what is it as in li-ion/nmh or nicad ??

They are Li-ion.. the first to blow my original charger was one of the batteries that came with the set. I know it still had some charge in it and I’d never had problems with them charging before. I went to slot in one of the batteries that came with the second hand unit earlier and that blew that charger ‍♂️ Both batteries I received Ed with the second hand charger have power and work my drills?

Sponsored Links
No the battery that blew my original charger was one off my drill… the battery that blew the second hand one was one that came with the charger this morning strait out of the package ‍♂️

I suspect that somewhere inside those chargers there exists what is left if a slow blow fuse. Mak chargers do have them, so may.be Ryobis do, too. Maybe worth trying to get a replacement from someone like Maplins

i can only suggest any time trouble or effort will be wasted
the chances off 2 completely independent battery and charger groups failing in your hands would require somthing wrong with say your voltage input from the mains as the only common factor i can think off ??
i assume both charged from the same source iff so what as in house mains or other source ??

I suspect that somewhere inside those chargers there exists what is left if a slow blow fuse. Mak chargers do have them, so may.be Ryobis do, too. Maybe worth trying to get a replacement from someone like Maplins
e bay is cheap enough i have many glass fuses from ebay
oohh and some will be soldered in so not easy to replace

Well, it's a cheap fix if it works. My experience with them is that they mostly last forever, but don't stand up well to being bumped around when they are hot (at least the couple of times i've replaced one that seemed to be the case). And one had just come in the post... Parcel Farce delivered a Doc M pack to me today where they had somehow managed to bend the "trombone" rail - FFS it' 32mm diam x 1.2mm thick stainless steel rated to carry a 25 stone plus adult. Looks like they ran an FLT over the box

yes definately worth trying as fuses are a few pence plus postage or fuel
i am all for repairing things but in general old battery tools need your 10+ years off tinkering experience and several drawers/tins/ boxes off assorted nicknacks and bits that and make most attempts free or minimal cost almost a 10 min fix or throw into the good for spares drawers/tins/ boxes we have to keep the cycle going (y)

i can only suggest any time trouble or effort will be wasted
the chances off 2 completely independent battery and charger groups failing in your hands would require somthing wrong with say your voltage input from the mains as the only common factor i can think off ??
i assume both charged from the same source iff so what as in house mains or other source ??

I can think is that it’s a mains problem?.however both were plugging into different sockets in the house when they blew ‍♂️.. and nothing else has blown any fuses when plugged into the mains having lived here 9 years. Does seem odd that two have done the same thing and I’d used my original charger numerous times to recharge the batteries over several years with no issue .. I don’t fancy opening it up and having to solder any parts inside and already thrown the original charger out. Maybe I’ll look at getting another drill.. cut my losses and sell on the 4 batteries and 2 drills to go towards another. Thanks to everyone for your help.

The Makitas chargers I worked on had a clip-in fuse. Same goes for the bench top power supplies I've had in the past for electronics work. Surely it's worth undoing the screws and popping the top off just to see? The fuses, if they are there, are generally a clear glass type.

Ryobi spares: Direct Power Tools (main distributor) on 01843 823400

I’ll have a check.. I’m pretty sure though that the original I opened up looked like it was all soldered.. mind I wasn’t looking for a glass fuse as I was checking the board for and burnt out parts

3CE15730-4B36-4A5A-BBCA-6F9524738B94.jpeg
Opened the charger up and only part that looks like it’s blown by the black band. (Pic) I’m assuming this is the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back