laptop charger not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
my charger for my dell inspiron 1525 laptop is only powering the computer and not charging it. sometimes, if i am lucky, a little wiggle of the adapter will activate the charging. is it just a case of buying a new one? many thanks if you can help

Sponsored Links
A new charger may make a difference but it sounds like the connector in the PC may be loose.

The contacts for the battery may also need cleaning as if it runs the computer it should be charging the battery....

may even require a new battery.

Yes as above, new battery.

"The wiggle test is a much underestimated technique, and cheap".

You have a dodgy connector I don't think a new charger will solve the problem. May be able to see why its making a bad connection or keep an eye on the charging light.

Just so as you know it can also be the charge controller on the main board. This is responsible for charging the battery. My advice would be to try and find an adapter you can borrow first. Then see if you can borrow a battery and if none of those work you may need to try to replace the dc socket in the laptop. If it is the charge controller you can rarely replace those without replacing the entire main board.

Graham

Sponsored Links
When you plug in the charger into the laptop is it a snug fit

When you wiggle it a bit what exactly is moving when you do this, the part that goes into the laptop or just the cable

Laptop chargers are very expensive £50+ depending on your model and you can use other types as long as its the same voltage and same connector that goes into your laptop as there is dozens if different shapes and sizes

I have repaired several laptop power supplies even re-soldered the main board thingy (the part that the charger goes into)

Cant offer any advice on how to fix your issue until you answer my first 2 questions

thanks all, much appreciated,
efclee, it appears that its the bit inside the laptop that is 'wiggling', i dont remember how it was before there was an issue.
it seems to be hit and miss when the 'wiggling' works, any advice on what to do next will be greatly appreciated, its not 2 years old and i paid nearly 600 with 3years warranty, which doesnt cover accidental damage, which i am sure this problem will come under!!
again thanks :)

thanks all, much appreciated,
efclee, it appears that its the bit inside the laptop that is 'wiggling', i dont remember how it was before there was an issue.
it seems to be hit and miss when the 'wiggling' works, any advice on what to do next will be greatly appreciated, its not 2 years old and i paid nearly 600 with 3years warranty, which doesnt cover accidental damage, which i am sure this problem will come under!!
again thanks :)

Firstly are you in warranty, if so take it to the shop were you bought the laptop, 12 months is usually with the shop after that it could be a RTB return to base, which means you have to send it to the manufacturer, or Onsight warranty which means they collect from you via a courier

In my opinion this would not come under accidental damage, so contact the shop were you got the laptop from ASAP!!!!

Let me know the outcome

SORTED
i spole to dell and within 12 minutes it was organised that an engineer will be coming to replace the charger and the motherboard.
cheers for all the help and saving me some money! hope the engineer is as good as the phone operator. thanks again

Sponsored Links
Back