laptop died,will not turn back on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi peeps,was on laptop NEC VERSO A2100 when the fan started to run (like it was overheating ?)when it just shut itself down completely,now its done this a few times before and after 1/2 hr it will turn back on,but tonight theres nothing at all,have tried removing battery and just running it from the power lead,but still nothing.no lights on the comp at all.
what do you recommend?
thanx muchly in advance.

Sponsored Links
its done this a few times before and after 1/2 hr it will turn back on

The best indication that it was overheating and should have been looked at as soon as it started doing this.
Having carried on it may have cooked the CPU and it will need looking at by a computerman. Components inside laptops are not as easy to gain access to as towers.
There are too many possibilities to suggest that you remove one item and replace it to see if it works, then try another replacement. Much easier to get your local computer shop (NOT PC World) to have a look.

its done this a few times before and after 1/2 hr it will turn back on

The best indication that it was overheating and should have been looked at as soon as it started doing this.
Having carried on it may have cooked the CPU and it will need looking at by a computerman. Components inside laptops are not as easy to gain access to as towers.
There are too many possibilities to suggest that you remove one item and replace it to see if it works, then try another replacement. Much easier to get your local computer shop (NOT PC World) to have a look.
QFA

Flip the laptop over and take out the screws on the back (if possible), carefully prise apart the case and detach the keyboard cable - check that the copper heatsink and fan situated over the CPU isn't blocked with dust/hair and general junky stuff.

Also have you changed the power supply or battery recently?

Sponsored Links
hi chaps thanks for the replys,took the thing apart this evening and couldnt see anything untoward the fan wasnt really furred up and spun just by blowing on it,as said there are no lights showing at all on the front of the laptop the battery is original and even though it doesnt last long it still worked,does this indicate a psu problem as suggested to me today? and if so is it an easy and cheap job??just wondering whether it is cost effective to spend out on a repair or just bin it?
would it still work with a duff bios battery??
i appreciate that laptops are a bit of a nightmare, ;)
is there any way i can retrieve the family pictures from the hard drive and what it entails?

If is gets a lot of use, and has served you well, might be worth getting it repaired or paying for someone to investigate further. Similiarly, computer hardware has never been so cheap, so might be worth replacing it with a new unit.

My preference would be a Dell, their laptops are a little more expensive, but from my experience they are robust and hold up for years if looked after. Furthermore Dell's warranty is second to none, and gives that little extra piece of mind.

To get the pictures off the drive, just take the drive out and borrow a 2.5 inch caddy unit for example (http://www.amazon.co.uk/2-5-Externa...N6/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1/276-2519110-4937649) and slave it over USB to another pc/laptop as a secondary drive, then transfer the pictures over.

Note the type of connection on the back of the hard disk, it could be either IDE (lots of pins arranged in two rows) or SATA (2 small connectors i.e power and data) so make sure you get a caddy that has the same interface.

Sponsored Links
Back