Laptop powers off after about 20-30 seconds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friends Novatech laptop running XP powers itself off after about 20-30 seconds

Windows seems to start then it just powers down, tired to open in safe mode and it just freezes and need to turn off at power

Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Is it getting hot? Do the cooling fans kick in when it is started?

She said sounds like fan comes on and it doesn't get too hot, I got her to take back off and says it seems quite clean and free from dust/fluff etc

Silly question really but,,,,,,,, Is the battery charged fully? Is the charger working?
;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
She told me last night it bleeps on startup have asked her to count them and get back to me today

The diagnostic codes will be a good place to start.

I had initially thought that it might be the fan but you say that it just freezes in safe mode, might be the ram, especially if there is only one stick.

If there are two sticks take one out and swap them over.

Another useful tool would be to download a copy of hiren boot cd, burn the iso to disk and boot from that, select something like mini-xp, it will run from the ram and leave the hard drive alone. This will help you rule out (or in) problems with the existing operating system. On the same cd you will find various hardware testing tools.

BTW remove the battery and run off mains only, just incase

Back