Laqcuer to oil ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

My wife and I have just last week had a new kitchen fitted with Walnut worktops and decided to go with Laqcuer... The fitter kind of talked us into it saying it has anice finish, personall I think its rubbish and looks like it has a plastic coating. Also, certain areas have dried out where it needs a further coat.....

Instead of applying a further coat of Laqcuer, what would I need to do if I wanted to have oil instead....

Can the laqcuer be easily sanded off using under a 300 grain ? How much will I have to sand it ?

I know that before applying a further coat of laqcuer I would need to very lightly sand it first to provide a key.

My other reason for wanting to change is that it has only been a week and already we have 3 little scratches..... I'm told they are easily fixed when you have oil but not when you have the laqcuer fiinish..

Could someone please give me step by step instructions as I have never done anything like this before..... I will also be sanding by hand!!!

many thanks for your time and hopefully your help.

Sponsored Links
Gulp :eek:, By hand?
I would seriously consider investing in a belt sander to do this task (buy or rent), and start with 120grit belts to remove the majoritty of the lacquer. 300 would probably clog up really quicky, and would take ages.

You need to sand back until all of the lacquer is gone before you can oil the surfaces. When the wood looks 'natural' and has no shine in the light (matte) all of the lacquer should be gone.

If the scratch is in the lacquer it will go when you sand the tops, if it is in the wood itself, they can be easily lifted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back