Larch fencing with concrete posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Going to use horizontal Siberian larch fencing for the end of my garden (20mm by 95mm PAR), about 12 metres. Got fairly old concrete posts already in place, just trying to come up with how to attach the larch to these concrete posts. Was thinking of attaching timbers to the sides of the posts and then then screwing them into that? Think would need to put in one more additional post. Please see attached photos. Do you think this is a goer? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Its approx 2.7m between the posts apart from the two on the end (1.5m and 2.5m between those and adjacent posts)

IMG_5490.JPG IMG_5491.JPG IMG_5492.JPG IMG_5493.JPG IMG_5494.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes at 20mm thick over 2.7m it would be fairly floppy, so additional posts needed

your concrete posts look thinner than usual. might they have been for wire netting?

They have holes through them for bolts. You can bolt an upright wooden post to each, if you like (I use M8 stainless studding with C-form washers and nuts, but if you are not in a coastal area, galvanised will do if you paint it before and after fitting, and grease the threads). The wooden posts should be clear of the ground to avoid premature rot.

If you prefer, you can bolt a horizontal rail through each, and put vertical fencing boards on them. You will need an arris rail or something at the top for extra rigidity, and cats to walk along.

I use decking timbers as horizontal boarding, which are pre-treated, fairly cheap, and strong, and I have a few extra-long ones that will span three posts near the top, adding rigidity and resisting flexing in strong winds. I think they are about 4.8 metres. You can use offcuts to brace the boards together midway between each post and keep them flat.

I advise against trying to drill through the concrete posts. You will probably get spalling, and the act of drilling may start a crack.

btw I know how to kill ivy.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes at 20mm thick over 2.7m it would be fairly floppy, so additional posts needed

They do the boards in 45mm thick too, but obviously dearer, double the price. Worth it for greater longevity?

most of the decking boards I've used for my fence are *edit: 25mm or 28mm* thick. Compare that to the thin rubbish used on most other garden fences. I could sit on top if I wanted.

I think the longer ones are 28mm

Think of garden decking. Far, far stronger than most fences. And the fence is vertical so will not hold damp.

Last edited:
you can do it with Glyphosate.

It doesn't work if you spray it on the leaves, because they have a waxy surface to repell water and reduce transpiration.

But if you work your way along, cutting off all the stems at a convenient height (say, 2 ft) you can then bend them over and immerse the cut stem in a jar of glyphosate concentrate for a few minutes. The freshly-cut surface will still draw it in, until it dries and callouses.

gyphosate works by being translocated to the roots, which it kills.

Stumps that are too thick to bend over, you can treat by dabbing on the concentrate with a small brush.

In a couple of weeks, look again. Some of the stumps will be brown and dry. Some may still be green, and forming growth buds. Cut again, into the live, green wood, and treat again.

Two treatments will probably be enough, but check it again a few weeks later. Green new growth will be easy to spot.

You can cut and pull away the upper growth once it has been cut from the base. I find it easier once it has browned and dried, but some people prefer to do it while still green. Do not throw it on the ground or compost as it may re-root.

I have done the same with bay trees, which throw up a host of suckers.

Could I do this just enough to kill off the shoots on my side of the garden, as the ivy really belongs to neighbours?

It seems to only kill the shoots I've treated, because if I miss one, it regrows.

Thanks for all the advice @JohnD do you leave any gaps between the boards for expansion?

yes, though if they are very wet probably not needed.

a piece of folded cardboard will do

IMG_5521.JPG IMG_5522 2.JPG

This is the current state of play with the fence, Ive used glycophosphate weedkiller on the ivy behind the fence from the neighbours. Not sure about the membrane idea which was left over from the concreting the extension. The idea is to stop the ivy coming through. I reckon over time with sunlight it will break down anyway. Only going up 2m, this is of course a work in progress....Any constructive opinions gratefully received....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back