Fixing fence posts to an old wall with coping stones - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening,

I am trying to figure out the best way to attch fence posts to this back wall.

It is quite an old looking wall, nothing is straight and with the coping and different thicknesses I am struggling to find a nice simple way to attach the fence posts.

I don't want to fix just to the top (using those metal brackets) as I don't think the wall could take it.

I think Maybe I could attach top to bottom and space the middle recessed section with something?

I have shown my thoughts attached along with what I hope to end up with.

The batten are going to be larch and just screwed to the posts.

All thoughts welcome!

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20190215_071739.jpg
    20190215_071739.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 5,555
  • 20190216_124135.jpg
    20190216_124135.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 2,968
  • Horizontal fence.jpg
    Horizontal fence.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 2,942
  • Idea 1.jpg
    Idea 1.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 6,367
  • idea 2.jpg
    idea 2.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 3,035
Sponsored Links
I'd do exactly what you suggest. Ensure the packing is solid and the fixings go through any packers.

Is there no way of concreting the posts in?

Picture 4 looks your best bet but to ve honest it would look better with full panels/ all fence imho rather than leavijg the wall there. (Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick?).

Thanks for the replies so far.

ktuludays: I have seen packers mentioned in forums a few times, but what do people tend to use for these? I think judging by how uneven the wall is I would need to pack out to over 20mm in some areas! I'll have a think about concreting - but this would be a last resort for me only as it seems really difficult for someone with very little experience (like me)

Keithmac: I was leaning towards picture 4 too, but I have just done some more measuring and it looks like the bottom section is around 20mm further out than the top section (cross section to explain attached - big gap.jpg). Would that be a problem?

I'm worried about whichever method I use, there is going to have to be some serious spacing going on! But if big spacers are often used, then I'm less worried. FYI i have never done fencing before. I have done a lot of research but have 0 experience.

In terms of how it looks, I see your point about maybe all fencing. I have attached the look I am going for, but may bring the slats all the way down. Not sure yet. It largely depends on how messy the posts and spacing looks!

Attachments

• big gap.jpg
    big gap.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Slatted wall topper.jpg
    Slatted wall topper.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3,606
  • 20190226_085540.jpg
    20190226_085540.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 1,272
Sponsored Links
You could cut sections of a spare post to make packers of any lenght, just make sure your fixings are long enough to get through the post + packing piece.

All I'd do is make the "packers" as I go and make sure it's level.. Maybe frame fixings would be your best bet securing it to wall?.

Extreme example but I couldn't pull the back fence down to re-post so had to pack the new posts (behind a shed). Same idea though..

20190226_093503.jpg
20190226_093554.jpg

20190226_093911.jpg

Ah amazing thanks Keithmac!

I had thought of similar but wasn't sure if this was how packging was done!

I will definately do that.

Next questions then would be - do the masonry bolts have to go all the way through the post and spacer and fix to the wall?

Or can I fix the spacers to the wall (using masonry bolrs) and then the post to the spacer using regular wood screws

Also - what are your thoughts on half height posts like the examples attached.

Aesthtically - If I could get away without the post going all the way to the ground, It would look better, but worried it would be weaker.

Thanks for your help so far!!

Attachments

• Full length.jpg
    Full length.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 687
  • Half length.jpg
    Half length.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 617
Ah sorry I attached the same picture twice. The half height post was supposed to show the post only extending half way down the wall. Kind of like this...

Attachments

• c7.JPG
    c7.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 10,167
  • Half length b.jpg
    Half length b.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 952
Depends how much wood you have to play with (how big the packers are) I would say you'd want an inch minimum of screw thread into the packer. Also depends how thick your posts are.

Could do half height posts depending on the condition of your wall, also note they've gaps in the fence to let the wind through, less stress on the fence and wall.

Ok great. I'll go with that and see what happens when the fence posts arrive at the weekend.

I'm not overly worried about wind as the fence will be slatted with gaps (so won't act too much like a sail) and plus there is no wind on that back wall really as it is very sheltered area.

So currently going with this as attached. The horizontal batten I was thinking could help me keep the posts in a straight line.

Thanks for the help so far!

Attachments

• Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,151
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    47 KB · Views: 1,132
Good afternoon,

Does anyone think using 2x3 for these posts instead of 3x3 would be ok?

I have a load of 2x3 I can use and it 'looks' strong enough. But without having done a fence before it is hard to tell.

The fence is slatted, with 10mm gaps in between 40x22 battens.

Attachments

• 2 x 3 ok for this fence.jpg
    2 x 3 ok for this fence.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 386
in windy weather, they will be strong enough to crack the wall and push it over.

Hi JohnD.

Thanks for the reply, so you think they will be strong enough at 2x3? Or are you suggesting that fixing them to the wall is a bad idea altogether?

I was hoping with how sheltered the area is and with slats wind wouldn't be as much of an issue :S

fixing a 3-foot lever to a wall is a good way to demolish it.

If you can put the posts in the ground, on the leeward side, not fixed to the wall, the wall will probably be OK

Ah no!

Pretty worried now. I have seen the half height posts in pictures loads online and assumed it was a sound idea. :(

Attachments

• c7.JPG
    c7.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 1,086
  • Vertical Straight Top Hit & Miss on Wall at Newtownpark Ave.JPG
    Vertical Straight Top Hit & Miss on Wall at Newtownpark Ave.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 7,877
  • 494fab2f0a13317845b579ac95830be1.jpg
    494fab2f0a13317845b579ac95830be1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,589

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back