Large cut out in the Kitchen wall behind Fridge!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved to a new place and noticed there is a large gap in the wall plasterboard behind fridge showing some heating related equipment (MagnaClean Professional Filter) . As you can imagine this is not making kitchen looking good, also not sure any reason why this need to be kept exposed..? see photos

I thought of making a removable wooden enclosure, but since these items and pipes gets heated up not sure to use wood, thought plaster board is better to make a removable enclosure. Looking for suggestions. Please see photos.

Boiler Parts 4jfif.jpg
Boiler parts1.jpg
Boiler Parts2.jpg
Boiler Parts3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I don't follow... Won't they be hidden by the worktop and fridge.

If you want to box them in then MDF or plywood will be fine, the pipes don't get that hot. The valves, drain off and filter will need to be accessible so any cover needs to be removable.

You can make up a frame and board over it but will need to maintain access.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I don't follow... Won't they be hidden by the worktop and fridge.

If you want to box them in then MDF or plywood will be fine, the pipes don't get that hot. The valves, drain off and filter will need to be accessible so any cover needs to be removable.

Its partially hidden, not completely. I can't keep Fridge closer to it because these pipes are hot.
If I make it in side an enclosure with plasterboard, may be able to keep fridge closer to the wall also might look good.

You can make up a frame and board over it but will need to maintain access.

Blup

Understood that it needs access. So planned to create enclosure to that shape and screw it over. As and when need access always unscrew and get access.
Hopefully this is not something need air circulation..

Its partially hidden, not completely. I can't keep Fridge closer to it because these pipes are hot.
If I make it in side an enclosure with plasterboard, may be able to keep fridge closer to the wall also might look good.

Was that the only place that filter could be installed?

Plasterboard is a bit weak if you intend to remove it for access, so plywood may be best.

I thought plaster board is best as its heat resistant. Also unlike wood, it will not burn ..?? Not sure how much heat will be there but if a wood touches hot surface for months & months may cause fire..??? Thats why thought about plaster board.

Understood that it needs access. So planned to create enclosure to that shape and screw it over. As and when need access always unscrew and get access.
Hopefully this is not something need air circulation..

The filter is just basically a pipe, with a very powerful magnet in the middle, intended to collect iron particles and prevent them choking up the boilers small passages. Heat will not harm it, it needs no special ventilation - just regular all round access to clean it out.

Nor will it damage ply, nor will it set fire to it. Ply is fine, much better than plasterboard - which will eventually fall apart if disturbed regularly.

The filter is just basically a pipe, with a very powerful magnet in the middle, intended to collect iron particles and prevent them choking up the boilers small passages. Heat will not harm it, it needs no special ventilation - just regular all round access to clean it out.

Nor will it damage ply, nor will it set fire to it. Ply is fine, much better than plasterboard - which will eventually fall apart if disturbed regularly.

thanks for the input, wasn't clear how much heat expected from MagnaClean Professional Filter. Its clearer now. Thanks

The pipes will not get hot enough to damage timber. Central heating pipes are about 65 degrees centigrade. You need three times that temperature to burn plywood.

At some point, some of the pipes probably sit on wooden joists anyway.

The pipes will not get hot enough to damage timber. Central heating pipes are about 65 degrees centigrade. You need three times that temperature to burn plywood.

At some point, some of the pipes probably sit on wooden joists anyway.

Only other consideration is for painting point of view Plaster board might give exact match with surrounding plaster boards, where us plywood might not give that same look..?? difficult paint as well..?

Only other consideration is for painting point of view Plaster board might give exact match with surrounding plaster boards, where us plywood might not give that same look..?? difficult paint as well..?

It needn't be. I would be inclined to make it an obvious panel, rather than try to disguise it. It will though paint, just as easily as plaster/ plaster board, just a slightly different texture.

Best to try servicing or at least run through the process of servicing the filter, before you decide how big the access panel needs to actually be. There is nothing worse than making the panel too small, then having to damage the rest of the wall to gain proper access.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back