Large Diameter Masonry Hole Required - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie M said:
Well indeed, but I couldn't have got to the inside from the outside, if you get my drift.

Presumably that was because you had fallen off the ladder :confused:

Sponsored Links
No, the depth of the wall made it impossible to drill all the way through from either the inside or the outside. thus requring the hole to be drilled from both directions.

You can get extensions which will allow drilling through very thick walls.

Whilst you're doing this, make sure you include all the leads you need now and those you will need in the future. My list would be:

Scart (poss *2) - can connect cable/Sky and DVD/Video

Component video (3*RCA) - can connect to DVD for progressive scan picture

Sound (2*RCA) - lets you feed sound in for the component video, and sound out to go to an amp/AV receiver

HDMI (poss *2) - for Sky/cable HD picture and to connect to a future DVD player (HD DVDs not around yet)

Cable for a centre sound speaker - from an amplifier

Even if you never use them it's a good invstment compared to chasing the wall again.

www.cableuniverse.com sells great value cables at 1/5 the price of the big brands - just as good though in my experience.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Hopefully I'm not too late with my suggestion.
Why not simply cut off the scart plug, drill a "normal" hole, feed the cable, then solder a scart pplug on the end?
I fot a fair few plasmas/projectors etc and use this method often where drilling a large hole isnt an option.

plasma boy said:
Hi there

I am going to wall-mount a plasma screen telly above a fire place. The wall is a party wall in a terraced property, so will easily hold the weight (about 30kg). I am fine with fixing the coach bolts (probably about a 12mm bit required for the bracket fixings), but I am planning on sending the wires back into the wall and down the chimney (which is not used, obviously!) to avoid having to chase them into the wall. This will mean a roughly 50mm hole (to get the SCART plug through) in a brick wall about 200mm deep.

The question is: what type of drill bit do I need? Obviously a power drill is required, but I haven't made a hole this big before. Can you hire the bit? I will obviously only be using it once.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Stupid question.... why don't you desolder/cut off the scart, send through smaller dia hole & resolder?

Benny.....From Crossroads :eek: ..wow ..is that a spanner in your pocket :LOL:

Thanks for your suggestions.

Antharrison - the reason I am doing this through the chimney is to avoid having to chase cables and plaster over the damage. The chimney is being used as a large cable conduit, with the DVD, ps2 etc being installed on a shelf in teh (unused) fireplace. I should be able to feed new cables (hdmi etc) through the hole in the chimney breast fairly easily.

Benny and eggplant - I have never done any soldering, and don't intend to start now! I will need probably 2 inches to get enough cables through (ac, aerial, ps2, dvd etc), so I reckon I can squeeze a fairly slim (some are slightly wider than others) scart lead head (or failing that an s-video lead) through a 2-inch hole anyway.

Can you fix some hinges on the back of the tv, and put a shelf (or few) in the chimney, then close the tv over the shelf, keeping it real minimal?

That way, you can just remove a load of bricks, insert a shelf, and drop the cabling down.

Can you fix some hinges on the back of the tv, and put a shelf (or few) in the chimney, then close the tv over the shelf, keeping it real minimal?

That way, you can just remove a load of bricks, insert a shelf, and drop the cabling down.

Well as this was nearly 18 months ago he's probably dead by now. Suicide caused by depression when he discovered how much less his flat screen would've cost him had he waited a year or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back