Best tool for cutting a large hole in a soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just bought a shower extractor fan kit that requires a hole measuring 115mm in diameter to be cut through the soffit board on the outside of the house. I own hole saws up to 70mm odd in diameter and an adjustable drill bit that cuts into softwood and plaster, but that only makes 65mm diameter holes. I have thought about drilling loads of little holes in a ring and then attempting to cut and push through the soffit, but I don't really fancy doing that 25 feet up in the air balancing on a ladder. What tool would you recommend I purchase to cut a 115mm hole out of my house soffit board? The cheaper the better, because having just started my own business (obviously not diy related! :LOL: ) I'm a bit poor at the moment. Many thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
The one on ebay says "Suitable for use on Granite, Marble, Porcelain, Glass, Slate, Ceramic, Tile and Stone!!!"

Arn't soffits usually wood or plastic?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I saw those already. I actually bought a set of those last year and they are definitely not suitable for wood/plaster type material. They are rough edged to wear away at stone type material instead. Thanks for looking though. Anyone else know of a tool that'll do it? :confused:

How about something like this?

Not very cheap, admittedly. I got a similar one from Tilgear, which
if I remember was a similar price.

If it's difficult drilling overhead and at the top of a ladder, could
you consider marking the position, taking that section of the
soffit down, and drilling it at ground level before refixing it.

P4ult: if you compress the URL rather than copying it as it stands,
you can avoid the text scrolling off several miles to the right.

I was just popping back to say that I've just bought something and it looks like a cheap and cheerful version of what you recommended, xerxes. It's called an adjustable hole cutter and it cuts holes in wood, plasterboard or plastic, for use with a brace or electric drill. It was only £7.50 odd from Toolstation, so hopefully that'll do the job. I may well consider taking the soffit panel down now you mention it. Thanks for the help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back