Reciprocating Saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've started a job that I don't think I can finish without something like a reciprocating saw. I'm cutting a circular hole in the soffit of a house to pass a vent grill through. I thought I had the right tools, but it turns out I don't and I haven't got the strength to drill 15 holes through the 15mm thick hardwood soffit with a 25mm flat head drill bit whilst balanced at the top of a ladder! And the space between the house wall and the eaves is only 18cm, so I cant get any other tools like a jigsaw in there to do any good. The only tool I can think of to help me cut the hole is a reciprocating saw?!?

I know very little about them, but I've found two that I like the look of. Can I get opinions on the following two, as to whether they are any good or not? I want to buy one that will last for a sensible amount of usage, and that will perform well, but not cost more than about £75, although I'd be wiling to go up to £100 if the tool was so much better.

Erbauer ERB800RL 800W Reciprocating Saw

Ryobi ERS-80V 240V 800W Reciprocating Saw

These seem to sell for around £70 and look like having a decent cutting depth and variable speed selection. That's about all I know about them. I've never used one before.

If anyone has any other ideas for making the hole in the soffit I'd be interested, otherwise, I need to buy the right tool for the job to do the work this Thursday.

Cheers very much in advance for replies.

Sponsored Links
It wont be easy trying to hold a repo saw vertically, and two handed as it snags and jarrs on the soffit - which is what it does

Surely it would be easier with a cordless and a suitable spade or hole saw?

Or just get a £3 padsaw

Thanks Woody, but unfortunately, I don't think any of those would do the job. The hole to be cut is 115mm in diameter and the soffit wood is so hard that cutting into it manually with a pad saw is useless - I tried it today. Hole saw's don't seem to come big enough suitable for wood, only ceramics and glass etc.

I think a reciprocating saw is probably going to be the only option. I think I'll put a small scaffolding tower up to make the job safer.

Anyone know if either of the rep saws I mentioned are worth getting or have any others around the same price that come recommended?

Cheers

You wont be using it every day so either of those saws will do.

Are you sure you are just not convincing yourself to buy a repo saw? :rolleyes:

£13.99 from screwfix
p1653820_l.jpg

127mm (which suites a 115mm tube)

£6.97
p2685998_l.jpg

plasterboard saw - cuts on push and pull and will cut timber

Sponsored Links
definatly not a recip saw as the blade has a lot of freedom and cannot be accuratly controlled without additional support to the blade

not a jigsaw as the back off the saw needs several inches off swing in an arc

hole saw is the kiddy but you need 2 hands for when it snatches so not a ladder job
:cry:

I asked myself the same question actually! :LOL: No, I just can't see a pad saw doing the job. You'd have to be the hulk to cut a 115mm circular hole upside-down in a hardwood soffit with one of them! :LOL:

Ta for the info about the hole saw though. I didn't know it was possible to buy ones that size (guess I should have looked instead of assuming!).

And cheers too big-all. Looks like a hole saw is the way forward. :)

Thinking about it, this kind of job is the perfect one for the Bosch pmf 180

image-gd.php

Or the cordless model

bosch_PS50.jpg

I've always wondered what that tool was for. I had a search online and it gets fantastic reviews all-round. For now, I'm going to buy a hole saw and see if that does the job. It's a lot cheaper than the Bosch. But, I may well invest in one of the Bosch Multi tools very soon as I can think of loads of applications that I could have, and would be able to use it for.

Cheers mate! :D

I have the corded version and it is a great little tool.
The attachment in the pic is great, although mine chipped first time i used it. Still its served me well so far, not sure it would be best suited for your job though OP, maybe the hole saw is better on this occasion.

Wouldn't fancy doing that up a ladder!!!

In the time it took him he could have got out his drill and his holesaws and made a much neater job of it.

Wouldn't fancy doing that up a ladder!!!

In the time it took him he could have got out his drill and his holesaws and made a much neater job of it.

it would probably be possible with a scrole saw but again a 2 hand job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back