Large double gazed unit install, opinions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some advice.

In brief, a well known national glazing firm has installed a large window for us. It's about 3m square, on the side of our house on the first floor.
It's wrong in that the finish on the frame is not what we ordered, and incorrect but....
when informed of this after the main frame was in, the fitters carried on with the job understandably as we had a large hole in our house, and said that final finishing was now a dilemma. I assume they ment that if they finished the exterior fully, then possible full removal to replace with the correct finish frame would be more difficult? As such I think they have done a partial finishing job. If we accept the installed frame as it is now with it's incorrect finish, I would assume this window should be finished better?
If they replace, I still think the sealing up should be better?

Am I being picky? or are the fitters just understandably hedging their bets against replacement ease later?

Pics in next post.

e3ZCtdx
DenNpfQ
yF4Cg5X
rmW6ISJ
xoceqbi
7HKlba0
4JuY1DF
2dQU67d

Sponsored Links
alexmc123, good evening.

Unfortunately the last 4 Posted images cannot be viewed?

The images posted appear to be in my opinion simply not acceptable

Gaps, loose fitting flashing's Etc. all not acceptable.

Can you please if possible Re-Post the images??

Ken.

So what is actually wrong with the window?
If its wrong and is being remade I can understand them not wanting to totally finish the window. If they fully seal, render and finish it they would have a hard time getting the window back out to replace it without doing quite a bit of damage.

Are you happy with the finish on the rest of the windows?
For future reference (once this work is completed) your better off going with local companys than the big national ones, Assuming you ever need any more doing.

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with Gazman ... if the frame ' finish ' is incorrect ( eg flat white as opposed to White Woodgrain for example ) , then I can't see the fitters wishing to seal and render when they are just going to have to remove it again to fit the correct window...I know I wouldn't! Surely this finish is only temporary , and as long as you haven't paid in full then you have no issue as its not in the companies interest not to fit the correct window

Thanks for your replies guys, I had an inkling that it was likely it was not fully finished for the obvious reasons that the window may well have to come out again.
Either way if we accept a discount and live with the flat white finish....... or request the correct finish and they rip out and start again, then they will have to finalise the rendering in etc.

We have paid a deposit of about 25% so far with the balance to be paid on completion. So, we are discussing it tomorrow.

Thanks again guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back