Large format tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 40m2 of extension joined onto about 30m2 of the existing house that I want to tile with somthing like 60x60 tiles.

Both parts have underfloor heating and the extension was screeded with sand and cement about 4 weeks ago now. The whole floor is level over the 12meters but wouldn't say its flat. It has some ups and downs of +/- 5mm so 10mm difference in places.

So my plan was to lay Ditra matting over the whole lot. I will probably use a Weber adhesive.

My question is about the actual tiling really. As it's a bit higher in places I was going to start tiling at one of the higher areas if the floor and then use a laser level and/or a string line to keep the whole lot flat as well as a good tile levelling/clip system.

Does this sound about right? Any help or guidance would be useful.

Sponsored Links
Ideally you want to use a self levelling compound over the whole lot, then ditra on top of that when it’s flat. If you have some noticeably high spots you can grind them down first. You don’t want to be messing around building up loads of areas etc with adhesive - waste of time and money. No problem in using clips, but they are only really meant for fine tuning, not pulling tiles up a fair wack which could compromise the bond. Back butter all your tiles with adhesive as you go also

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back