I may of messed up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m half way through tiling my kitchen floor, I’ve covered the whole floor with ditra matting as it’s over two different types of sub floor. Half is over vinyl tiles which is on concrete, I didn’t removed a large section of vinyl tiles due to them being very well stuck down. I used Weber standard set flexible to stick down the matting just over a week ago. ive has to lift a small section of matting and noticed the adhesive is still dark in colour and can can easily scrapped away. I believe this is due to the vinyl tiles and the matting are both non-porous, will the adhesive eventually set?

Sponsored Links
I don't know why the adhesive is still damp but tile adhesive isn't supposed to be applied over porous surfaces anyway. Concrete, for example is meant to be sealed with SBR or similar, ie after sealing it is no longer porous.

Thank for the reply.
I’m just worried that the water in the adhesive won’t be able to get out due to the matting also being nonporous too or is that not how powdered adhesives work.

Powdered adhesives contain cement, the addition of water starts a chemical process that helps the adhesive to cure. Even if still damp it should have cured.

Are you sure that you didn't add too much water?

Sponsored Links
I’m pretty sure I didn’t. As I measured using a large measuring jug against the correct amount of water For each batch are made. I’m quite particular with stuff like that.
The bits of adhesive where the air have got to it are rocksolid, it’s just not under the matting. Do you think I just haven’t give it time to set?

Have only expereinced this when wood floor flexi adhesive was used on concrete floor, sure you bought the correct adhesive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back