Large gap at the bottom of aluminium patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
My wife and I are renovating a 1960s bungalow to be our home in retirement and we have a question about weatherprrofing and insulating a gap of 45mm at the base of a set of new aluminium patio doors.
The builder built the gap for the doors 75mm too tall and the window fitter installed the doors roughly midway in the opening leaving a gap above and below.
The gap above is filled with expanding foam and the gap below is taken up by 45mm thick timber pieces. The timber is visible both outside and inside, because the floor level is 35mm lower then the bottom of the door frame.
Can anyone helps decide how to provide support for the doors that is weatherproof and does not create a cold bridge to the inside?
Many thanks,
Nick

Attachments

• patio door base interior view.jpg
    patio door base interior view.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 102
  • patio door exterior view.jpg
    patio door exterior view.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
I have a similar issue with my UPVC patio doors where by the builder had a finished brisk level but the doors sit around 20mm above this with an exposed gap and no support. I have been looking for the best option as it lets in an awful draught, and didn't know whether I could use expanding foam at the back and a course of motor at the front would be sufficient. If so, couldn't you just get he builder back to put a half height row of brick below it, thus keeping the visual the same?

It's not just about the visual. If you just fill the gap with bricks it will create a cold bridge to the outside that will be diificult or unsightly to insulate. Having taken advice from others as well, what I am thinking of doing is drop the doors so that they are at the correct height, inline with the floor screed, and putting all the gap at the top. Then, have that gap plugged with a pressure-treated piece of timber, boxed in and plastered on the inside and rendered so as to match the wall on the outside.

Sponsored Links
It's not just about the visual. If you just fill the gap with bricks it will create a cold bridge to the outside that will be diificult or unsightly to insulate. Having taken advice from others as well, what I am thinking of doing is drop the doors so that they are at the correct height, inline with the floor screed, and putting all the gap at the top. Then, have that gap plugged with a pressure-treated piece of timber, boxed in and plastered on the inside and rendered so as to match the wall on the outside.

well you say that, but I doubt there’s much difference between the bricks and an aly frame in terms of thermal bridge. I know aly has a thermal break in it, but it’s not that great.

however, your idea of dropping the frame is exactly what I was going to suggest - having that step over at the bottom would be annoying and unsightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back