Large L shape window...corner post help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im thinking of changing the 2 upvc windows on a L shaped bay. Lower floor and upper. I've installed smaller windows before, these being by the far the biggest for me. 3m width x 1.5m high and a 500mm side panel as a L shape. I understand I need a corner post to connect the large window to the side panel. Never used a corner post before but seen they just slot in...are they just the height of window flush top and bottom or incorporated into cill ect.. And also is it better to fit cill to wall then place window and screw to cill or put cill on first which I've done in past
Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-190248_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220804-190248_Maps.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
I suggest you get a window company in. Reason being BAy above bay are notorious for having the potential to go horribly wrong. You need to get the loading points in the correct places , and in your example you'd need a Load Bearing Corner post , on a jacking kit . This would need to connect to the brick work under the cill ( going through the cill ) , and to lintel above, so normally slightly taller than the actual window ( but using the jacking kit you can actually take up a small amount of variance). You would need one on top bay and one on bottom bay. The Upvc Frames have NO load bearing capability at all. I have seen horrors where even companies have got this wrong and the bays have slipped slighlty ...go to a company as they will have ( or should have ) Insurance if anything goes wrong BUT also go to a company that has done BAys above bay, and can show you examples of their work

Thanks for the advice. I've now decided to get a firm in to do it. If it was just a single story window I'd give a go but nah too much for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back