Large lining paper gaps after removing alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're currently decorating our new house and next on the list is the hall, stairs and landing. There's lining paper pretty much everywhere which I've removed where we've had skimmed.

However, I don't want to have to skim the entire hall/landing/stairs so I'm just going to paint over the lining paper for now.

Trouble is whoever installed the old alarm, that we're replacing with a new wireless one, installed it before the lining paper was put on and then it was papered round it!

What on earth do I do with this? Is there anyway I can fill and smooth the gap?

Picture below:

UXtzDKn.jpg

Sponsored Links
Neatly trim the rough edges and fill with filler.

Use something that's easy to sand, as you don't want to damage the paper.

When dry and sanded and clean of dust, prime the filler with watered down emulsion first.

Alternatively trim the rough edges and fit a new piece of lining paper in the gap, when dry fill the small gaps.

Neatly trim the rough edges and fill with filler.

Use something that's easy to sand, as you don't want to damage the paper.

When dry and sanded and clean of dust, prime the filler with watered down emulsion first.

Thanks for this, that was my first thought. Glad I wasn't being daft :)

Sponsored Links
Alternatively trim the rough edges and fit a new piece of lining paper in the gap, when dry fill the small gaps.

This would be better. I have found the fine (easily-sandable) surface fillers are dented/marked incredibly easily.

If you do patch you may get a better fit if you lay a larger peice of new paper with plenty of overlap then cut through the new and old together..works for vinyl, turf etc as well.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back