Large number of broken tiles on new roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would welcome comments from any roofers about the large number of broken tiles on this newly constructed house. It strikes me that a dodgy batch have been used rather than poor workmanship but why should so many have slipped/cracked. Is the grey band in the middle of the tiles significant ??

The tiles are hand made clay tiles from a reputable manufacture
r. They are willing to provide a 30 year guarantee for replacing any broken tiles however is a new roof the only real solution ?

Also photo of the hips showing mortar run off which I assume is a sign of poor workmanship. Whilst unsightly is it significant ?

All comments would be most welcome. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I personally think it maybe elephant feet damage, certainly there is a broken tile near the velux which is impact damage. This could have been caused by a foot or maybe banc with a scaffold board while it was being dropped.
How are the vertical tiles?

leeching on the hip, might be that everything was very wet when the muck work was done, or excessive additives..looks messy thats all.

The damaged tiles would be an easy fix.

The grey band in the middle is due to uneven firing in the kiln, this happens in big kilns where temperatures are not consistent throughout the kiln.
This also can create fire cracks in tiles which will then be sold on as "commercials’" which is an inferior, cheaper product.
The "whiting" from your hip tiles is effervescence and exactly what datarebal said.

Sponsored Links
The grey band in the middle is due to uneven firing in the kiln, this happens in big kilns where temperatures are not consistent throughout the kiln.
This also can create fire cracks in tiles which will then be sold on as "commercials’" which is an inferior, cheaper product.
The "whiting" from your hip tiles is effervescence and exactly what datarebal said.

Thank you for all your helpful replies. Excuse my ignorance but is it common to use commercials on a roof like this. I am trying to gauge whether it is the tiles at fault or poor workmanship.

The broken/slipped tiles are apparent on all the roof slopes not just by the velux window and also include broken valley tiles.

At the end of the day I am concerned whether this roof will be an ongoing problem. Would accepting a guarantee from the tile manufacturer be sufficient or are we looking at a new roof.

I presume the leaching will wash off in due course - however this will take time - can a chemical solution be used to speed up the process as it just looks so unsightly.

With regards to the tile hanging I attach a photo. Generally ok but is it usual to have such large gaps ?

Again any comments would be most welcome.

Commercial tiles are still up to British Standards but are not necessarily the colour they were meant to be or are slightly off in dimension or shape, back in the early 90's we used to use a lot of Acme Commercials but would always make the client aware of this fact, they would still have the same manufacturers guarantee as normal.

I still think it's down to the fitting. My by the velux comment referred to a couple of tiles that had obviously been hit or stood on.
I have a feeling the other tiles suffered the same by means of ladders laid on roof to access the hip for pointing or whatever..
The photo of the tile panel says it all.. shocking and looks like a two year old put them on.
Commercials do not need to look untidy, with proper care they can look as good as firsts.. it just takes longer.
you might try a bit of brick cleaner for the staining, but it might come back later on.. eventually it'll clear.

Again, many thanks for your comments.

Datarebal you thought the tile hanging looked like it was undertaken by a two year old - would you go as far as saying it needs taking down and redoing.

I've left out the photos of the brick pointing as that's another story.

What I am saying is it's untidy and done without care...

Are they Ashdowne's by any chance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back