Large shed/stables converting to art room and workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first post here so please be gentle! We have situated in the domestic curtilage of our property a stable block/shed which is in need of repair. I intend to re roof it and Insulate it to make it useable year round as an art studio for the wife and a workshop room for myself. According to my limited knowledge of permitted development I could have knocked down the structure and rebuilt it exactly the same size so I am guessing that on that basis the structure is legal and fits the criteria for PD. The building has been standing in its current location for over 10 years and the previous owners had a permission from the council to re-site the stable block on the boundary of the property, so I know it’s present state is legal. Do I have to speak to the council planners for any form of permission for the use of this building, ie from stables to art room/ workshop? The floor area is more than 30sq m, so do I need to involve building control for any works I do to the structure, ie insulation or heating? Next to the stable block was an old dilapidated structure which we have had to knock down as it was unsafe. I want to extend the workshop to encompass this old buildings footprint. Is this permissible? The old structure again is right on the boundary but was over 6m tall, so can I continue the ridge height of the stables (about 3.3m) for the workshop extension? This is a grey area because PD says if you are within 2m of the boundary the entire building can not exceed 2.5m in height, but both the existing stables and old dilapidated building were taller than this.
Lots of questions, but best to ask them now rather than fall foul of the laws....

Sponsored Links
The crucial issues are whether the land is residential or agricultural, green belt or conservation/designated area, and any planning conditions on the property or specifically the stable.

Once you knock a building down, rebuilding it, even to the exact size and appearance as the former is treated as a complete new building in a planning context - so can require a new permission and must conform to current rules not what used to be.

Building regulations will apply regardless.

Our garden is residential curtilage where the stable is located and there are no conditions set out in the deeds or anywhere else for this building. Ok so by the sound of it, the old building isn’t a pretext to putting something up in its place. But I can build something within PD rules?

Sponsored Links
no conditions set out in the deeds
It will be planning conditions that you need to check, and these won't be in the deeds.

If you do have standard PD rights which have not been removed by condition or directive then yes you can build to them as long as you observe the criteria - 2.5m eaves at the boundary irrespective of what was there before or now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back