Large Storage Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are large storage heaters, like the 5.7kW Creda TSF42K - 70389KS suitable for a domestic Economy7 use, obviously with an upgraded wiring?

We only have space for a single 3.4Kw radiator which unfortunately is not enough when it is really cold.

Gas would be a better option, however the nearest gas mains is over 20m away, so it would be a very big headache getting gas to my house. No, I'm not out in the sticks, but in West London.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sooner or later you will need gas as a supply. It devalues a London house not having it and for both water heating and CH is cheaper than electric.

I feel your pain, but gas in 2011 is a firm requirement of any house other than a single dot on a mountain side.

Have you had a quote for gas supply ?

No reason why not. They are bulkier and more expensive to buy than ordinary storage heaters.

I also looked at the Dimplex VFM40i Commercial Fan Storage Heater, which doesn't have the additional peak time heater, but it's about £100 more expensive from Dealec.

Just watch how the peak time heater is controlled as that will eat up the pennies if it's used carelessly.

Gas is 20 metres or 20 miles away? ;) It probably would be worth getting a quote as if you can afford to get it in, it will add value and probably even recoup its cost.

We only have space for a single 3.4Kw radiator
In the whole house? or just one room?

Either way, improving the insulation should be the first thing, rather than spending thousands of pounds on electric storage heating.

Sponsored Links
This a link to National Grid's charges, the costs for a supply <23 meters from the property are not to bad if you dig the trench yourself.

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdon...B0A1-C3EB1CA33D77/45171/CSCD_Mar11_Final_.pdf

Look at the costs of upgrading your night storage heaters but remember to factoring wiring, new MCB's and maybe the fuse board and then look at the gas costs.

Take into consideration, National Grid will only fit a pipe to your meter box, which you have to supply, you will then need to appoint a gas provider who will fit the meter and then a gas instaler to plumb the lot in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back