Large travertine tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wife has chosen 610mm x 405mm classic travertine tiles but I'm a bit apprehensive about laying such large tiles, I had originally suggested 457x305. I have dot and dabbed on new moisture board and it's almost perfectly flat, I've also tanked the shower and bath areas with homelux membrane so I reckon the walls will be ok. I plan to level up the wooden floor as much as possible and add extra noggins for strength before the final fitting of 25mm marine ply. I know I need flexible powered adhesive and grout but not sure which colours or brands would be best. Is 10mm the best size trowel to use and are there any other pitfalls to look out for.

Sponsored Links
there good adhesives mate.
bal,mapie,ardex etc...
prime underside and edges of ply with bal sbr,screw well DOWN.
seal before grouting then seal after grouting.
if light coloured trav use white flex addy, if dark in colour grey flex addy your choice of A flexy grout. ;)
10mm halfmoon trowel imo.

as for pitfalls "take yout time" it aint a race just do about 2m2 at a time checking for lippage.

p.s ....STILL ONLY GOT 6 "THANK YOU"S"....what the world coming to i ask you!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

p.s ....STILL ONLY GOT 6 "THANK YOU"S"....what the world coming to i ask you!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

by you are feeling hard done by, now you got 11, you owe me big time mate :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As always Tic Tic mate, you just gave the guy spot on advice, well worth a thank you i think

Sponsored Links
just to add to tic tics reply to you mate, light trav, dark addy leads to the addy bleeding through the tile, leaving it rather unsightly, and to reiterate, seal BEFORE and AFTER grouting

Just realised the tile cutter I bought a rexon rtc200a doesn't have enough stroke for 610mm tiles according to toolsave website it will only cut 330mm is there anyway I could use this cutter or do I have to buy another with a longer than 610mm stroke.

Just realised the tile cutter I bought a rexon rtc200a doesn't have enough stroke for 610mm tiles according to toolsave website it will only cut 330mm is there anyway I could use this cutter or do I have to buy another with a longer than 610mm stroke.

either you are mis interperating the information or i am reading your post wrong mate.
The rexon RTC200A will cut 610mm long tiles, but to a maximum DEPTH of 30mm, thats not the length of the tile.They are made to accept and cut 600mm tiles but will accomodate slightly larger tiles.You should have no probs cutting your tiles.The blade cuts past the fence

Sorry mate, just re-read your original post.I assume you mean your tiles are 45mm thick NOT 405mm.I see what you mean, the DEPTH of cut is not deep enough fro a clean cut.
A few options are open to you, make the cut with your rexon,place the tile on top of a piece of floorboard/ply wood and snap it,
Use your rexon to cut it,then use a grinder to cut the rest of the way through.
Expensive option, buy another cutter with more depth of cut
Cheaper option, buy a cheap radial tile cutter, not "radial arm"

hire a manual tile cutter with a bed big enough for the tile and use this to snap the tile after using your rexon

failing those options, do what we did back in the late 70s, cut trhough with ya rexon, remove the tile,turn over and tap the back with a smallish hammer ( cross pien) and the trav will break no probs

Too heavy a tile really, unless the walls truly are perfect and you can keep the bed thickness down to a minimum which will be diufficult with a tile that size. I just hope that you're not fitting brick bond otherwise you could be in trouble.

I have refused to do jobs in the past due to tile size- old properties and 600 x 300 tiles just don't mix well.

I would have specced a backerboard which can have a maximum weight of up to 60 kg per sq/metre instead of your 32 kg

about 10 yrs ago i tiled the bathroom in an old victorian house which had been converted, it was tiled with limestone 600mm x 300mm x 40mm. in brick bond

it was a time consuming job, which i was told by the customer that no one she had contacted previously wanted to do as it would take to long.
I gave a price for 4 days work, fixed 2 rows at a time, using wedges as spacers left approx 3 hours to set then fixed another 2 rows. and so on.
Took me 3 days to complete, customer was over the moon, personally i didnt like it.

Just be careful not to fix to many rows at a time,due to the weight causing the tiles to buckle from the wall

Sorry mate, just re-read your original post.I assume you mean your tiles are 45mm thick NOT 405mm.I see what you mean, the DEPTH of cut is not deep enough fro a clean cut.
A few options are open to you, make the cut with your rexon,place the tile on top of a piece of floorboard/ply wood and snap it,
Use your rexon to cut it,then use a grinder to cut the rest of the way through.
Expensive option, buy another cutter with more depth of cut
Cheaper option, buy a cheap radial tile cutter, not "radial arm"

hire a manual tile cutter with a bed big enough for the tile and use this to snap the tile after using your rexon

The tiles I'm thinking of buying are 610mm x 405mm and are 12mm thick, so rexon should be ok. I'll hope your'e correct I'll have a measure today.

there good adhesives mate.
bal,mapie,ardex etc...
prime underside and edges of ply with bal sbr,screw well DOWN.
seal before grouting then seal after grouting.
if light coloured trav use white flex addy, if dark in colour grey flex addy your choice of A flexy grout. ;)
10mm halfmoon trowel imo.

as for pitfalls "take yout time" it aint a race just do about 2m2 at a time checking for lippage.

So 10mm halfmoon will be ok for the walls as well as the floor.

Brian,
Hopefully you are still active on here!
Did the rtc200a fully cut a 600 wide tile, 12mm thick.
How do you rate the machine?
JCts, did you use one also?
Thanks and sorry for dragging up an old message, I can't (don't know how to) pm Brian.

Brian,
Hopefully you are still active on here!
Did the rtc200a fully cut a 600 wide tile, 12mm thick.
How do you rate the machine?
JCts, did you use one also?
Thanks and sorry for dragging up an old message, I can't (don't know how to) pm Brian.

Yes mate i do still use the Rexon rtc 200, and yes it will cut the tiles you are describing with no problem at all, just make sure that the water is cooling the blade and that the water tube is not trapped between water tray and machine, it does run that way but can get nipped up in the corner if not put in the correct way to begin with.

noproblem bringing up old posts if they help you mate, after all thats why we are here, to help if we can

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back