Large Wooden Box In Loft? (How Water Cylinder?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We're currently in the process of buying a property which is about 25 years old.

I popped my head into the loft today to check the general condition - whether it was boarded out, etc.

I noticed a huge box right in the middle of the main loft cavity. I'm assuming that this is a hot water cylinder that's been "insulated" and boxed up ?

The loft hatch was rather small and came up in the eaves, so I couldn't get to the box itself to get a closer look.

I've never seen anything like it. The owner wasn't sure - they've been in the house since at least 1991 and said that their current boiler (3 years old) was a combi, and the one before that was a combi...

Odder still, on the landing there's a vented cupboard which looks like it *used* to house a hot water cylinder, but not longer does. Maybe it was moved into the loft?

Any idea's?

Your help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Never seen anything like it!
If you say the cupboard is vented any chance there used to be a warm air heating system and this is in some way related to the duct work?

That might be a flue pipe behind it with the silver tape on it.

PS what does the Danger sign say is it just warning about insulation covering joists?

Sponsored Links
I don't think there's been any form of heat/air based system (there's no sign of it in any of the rooms).

I'm fairly sure the flue is for the combi-boiler that's on the 2nd floor and simply vents via that flue.

I'll be trying to arrange a time with the vendor to get a closer look - last night I simply popped my head into the space to check for birds nests, as I'd seen some go in/out of the roofline (turns out they're in the guttering/soffit space).

So I thought I'd ask around first as I've never seen anything like it before.

(The Danger signs simply tell you that the space between the joists isn't load-bearing and to use a crawl board - standard stuff).

Cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back