Laser distance meter help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used a laser distance meter to do measurements? To measure the rooms, walls...
Seen this http://amzn.to/1jXPF5J Does it work well enough? Or any recommendations? Thx.

Sponsored Links
Not used that one (but as above the reviews seem ok, and Amazon reviews are generally trustworthy). I have a Stanley one which is great. Useful tool that is easy to use. If I lost/broke it then I'd buy another straight away, maybe even the one in the link.

Many Amazon reviews of electronics (especially Chinese) are fake or paid for, or as a result of a free "sample". There are only a few reviews on that unit anyway.

You can get the Bosch PLR 15 for just a few pounds more, and will be much more reliable.

Sponsored Links
Leica is the bees knees, but cheaper brands can do just as well for straightforward measuring.

Leica is the bees knees, but cheaper brands can do just as well for straightforward measuring.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I have the D8 and there is a stupid design flaw with a protruding "on" button, which constantly gets pressed to turn the unit on.

Bosch are just releasing the GLM 50 C Pro, which has great features for 1/4 the price of an equivalent Leica - www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/glm-50-c-38361-ocs-p/

I still have my Leica Classic though from the early 2000's. Its still working, but it is about the size of a Fiat 500.

Mine's the d5 as well, but I've got 2 gripes with it; 1. when i want to take the next measurement, i keep hitting the video button instead (ie the 1 at the top) and you then have to press the button at the bottom to go back;

2. it's got no back light, which is no use when measuring inside lofts. My old Leica from the time of the Napoleonic Wars does at least have a light, so i have to keep both.

2. it's got no back light, which is no use when measuring inside lofts. My old Leica from the time of the Napoleonic Wars does at least have a light, so i have to keep both.
That's odd, I've never had a problem hitting the wrong button, curious about the not being able to see it in the dark, I've never come across that, I shall see what mine's like tonight. Love the video feature, I use it rarely but when you need it it's a joy!

Leica are good, and for most normal people a D2 would be sufficient.

When I bought my D2 five years ago, the only units at the budget end had a dull spray pattern of lasers and didn't have enough accuracy to be used everywhere (like measuring up for airing cupboard shelf slats).

The cat likes the single spot too, and it has a backlight.

Last edited:
FWIW, I use the Leica too. I've got the old model (the Fiat) and the super-duper new (and expensive) model, and they're both great. Actually, I prefer the old one because the battery lasts longer, and there's less that can go wrong (accidentally pressing buttons, that kind of thing)

I think that I am still paying the finance off for my original Classic Leica too. To think that these can be had for just over £20 nowadays, makes me think I should have waited.

I also still have my mid-90's Ultrasonic tape too. What a PoS that was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back