Laser Level or Optical level / theodolite?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

can anybody reccommend the best level to invest in for setting out works, extensions etc. Just wondering to go with an optical level or is a laser level any better?

Ideally something self levelling!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are actually building i would go for a laser and definately self leveling! Cracking for setting padstones, wall plates, spot heights etc in a jiffy. I use a topcon basic one and its gots plenty of range for pretty much any building.

Opticals/ theodolites take a bit more time to set up but are more use for setting out whole sites and working over larger areas.

If you are only surveying/ setting out and not building then probably better waiting for someone else who knows more about that than me but i would assume an optical is more suited.

To be honest over most distances I've always favoured the optical level for its accurate readings so best in my books for early stage work and setting out. I've used dumpys, nikons and leicas which are all good.
That said the lasers are better for certain tasks such as floor levelling, dado rails etc.
One point however, is that what ever you choose at least with the opticals is to have them serviced and calibrated regulary as they will go "out" .I've less experience of lasers but have found some that were also out although wheather they can be recalibrated or not I'm unsure of.

Sponsored Links
Optical levels are a two man operation, laser is one.

Any basic external laser will do for extensions. You certainly don't need a theodolite

There is a specific staff available for use with laser receivers which make measuring easier, I'll try and find a link later

Edit, yeah yeah, another poxy old thread :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back