Last Basic Question...............This Time Gearbox Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still for my 2004 Scudo 2.0 Jtd van, 5 speed manual. Does anyone know where the filler is on these gearboxes? 75W80 synthetic gear oil is recommended - how often does this need to be changed?

All the maintenance jobs seem to have cropped up al that the same time. Don't they always? I'm a bit out of touch with modern vehicles - well 2004 is modern to me.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure there’s one bolt that is bigger than all the others on the gearbox end plate. That’s the filler/level plug. Some gearboxes though without a filler/level plug cant be checked, they have to be drained and a set amount of oil poured into the top. Gearboxes though, unlike engines, don’t use any oil so unless you have a leak, it should be okay.

Pretty sure there’s one bolt that is bigger than all the others on the gearbox end plate. That’s the filler/level plug.

Yes, I've seen pictures of this online, under the n/side wheelarch. Think it was mainly on smaller HDI engines poss on Berlingos and Partners - or maybe the 1.9 Scudo. Not there on mine.

However, I think I have found how oil can go into the box. This may be useful to owners of late 90s/early 2000s 2.0 Jtd engines and 2.0 HDI engines of a similar vintage on other vehicles (Dispatch, Expert, etc, etc.). If the air filter box is removed there is a black plastic breather with a cap that pulls off easily. Almost next to it is the reverse light switch. I'm opting to use the breather, as I have visions of a reverse switch that's been in for 16 years being tight and shearing off. So, it's funnel and length of PVC pipe and job's a good-un. Thanks for your reply, Mottie.

Sponsored Links
How would you know when the level is right?

I'm going to drain the lot and put in the recommended 1.85 litres. Two reasons I'm doing it is first the oil is original and has done 100,000 miles. Other reason is that there is a large, dry oil stain patch underneath the geabox - nothing leaks now. Don't know if this was engine oil or geabox. If it is gearbox oil then it may be low. I'm curious to see how much comes out of the box when drained. If it starts leaking when the new oil goes in, then I know there's a problem with gearbox or diff - maybe driveshaft seals. Van will be doing a run to Czech Republic and back in autumn so I'm doing a long list of maintenance jobs that have all come due at the same time or after research are long overdue.

Jobs so far - new oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter

Jobs to do - next week will be new cam belt, aux belt plus aux belt tensioner and idler (all aux belt components original as far as I know), then drain, flush and renew with Prestone antifreeze, new stat, replace gearbox oil, change brake fluid. Would also like to get the ac going too, not worked for some years.

That's enough to be going on with. :sleep:

Apart from cam belt and aux belt work, the rest will be done by me. Not so easy to work on these vehicles. Other vehicle in an 86 MK1 facelift Carlton - much easier to work on. That's enough to be going on with. :sleep:

Last edited:
Have you been able to identify the drain plug? On some - near the diff - there is a drain and a level but there seems to be a different box with each engine....which is strange because it shares a lot of bits with the Citroen Jumpy.
John :)

Have you been able to identify the drain plug? On some - near the diff - there is a drain and a level but there seems to be a different box with each engine....which is strange because it shares a lot of bits with the Citroen Jumpy.

Well, it's a Fiat - so never going to be easy. At least they ditched the Magnetti Marelli electrics long ago.

Haven't had a chance to jack the van up again and have a look for drain yet, John. Been too bloody hot! Think I remember seeing it when I was lying on my back struggling with the oil filter which has poor access. Remember seeing a plug on the bottom with a square hole - so poss will be 8mm square tool to get it out.

That does sound like a typical Fiat drain plug.
Set ups like these make me a bit uneasy as you often get several opinions of how much bloody oil to put in.....see what volume comes out, I guess and I’ll wager its less than what you’d expect :eek:

Manual gearboxes for me are every 60,000 miles oil change.

I have a PTU (Power Transfer Unit) on our AWD that is specified "Sealed For Life", only 0.5l oil in there and sat rigth next to the DPF. Ford specify no oil change, sensible people do it every 30k..

Same with the Haldex on early Ford, no oil change required at Ford but 60k service item at Volvo (exactly same unit).

Set ups like these make me a bit uneasy as you often get several opinions of how much bloody oil to put in.....see what volume comes out, I guess and I’ll wager its less than what you’d expect :eek:

I now have the spec from the oracle - well the owners handbook. Retrieved it from it's place of hiding in the glove box, and it too confirms box capacity to be 1.85 litres. So, from the official Fiat publication - that's good enough for me. Will be interesting to see how much comes out though.

Wasn't too bad in the end, John. Changed it today. The old oil that came out was approx 200ml less than the 1.85 litre that is supposed to be in there. Old oil looked a bit murky - certainly a lot darker than the fresh Millers TRX that went in through the breather hole on top of gearbox. Length of tube, small funnel and patience. Relieved to see very little in the way of metal particles on the magnetic part of drain plug.

Thanks to all who helped.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back