lateral restraint of floor joists on two storey building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read conflicting advice re: whether I need to restrain floor joists on a 2 story domestic house. The floor is a first floor and is 4M x 3.5M. In one direction it's restrained by strutting and wedges. In the other direction, does it need restraint with metal ties, or is this not necessary on a 2 storey building?

The joists are built in, rather than being on hangars.

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
30x5 restraint straps notched over 3 joists with noggins half the depth of joists below straps. Straps max 2m centres Joist against wall to have firm blocking to wall at strap position.
Joists built into wall no restraint to ends required.
Regards oldun

Do you mean restraint for the floor or walls?

Floors don't need restraining, and wall restraint will depend on the design and other stuff, so no need to restrain in every case

If it's a standard house you need floor restraint straps at max 2m centres around the floor perimeter. As oldun says, longitudinal straps are not needed of you build the joists in or if you use a restraint type hanger.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. The span is 4M so I could get away with one strap in the centre right over the existing strutting.

Do you mean restraint for the floor or walls?

I mean for the floor, but to be honest I'm not sure what the strap will do that the noggins/wedges aren't already doing anyway?

Cheers

Gary

Floors don't need restraining - they just sit there

Noggins stiffen floors to remove bounce, they don't restrain

The straps you seem to be thinking of are to restrain (ie brace) walls to a floor .... or ceiling or roof.

Perhaps the others may like to clarify exactly what structural elements needs the restraint, rather than a confusing "restraint straps every 2m"?

I've just re-read PartA to remind myself why strapping was in my mind, and to clarify, it's the wall that I'm trying to restrain, by strapping it to the floor :D

The 2 storey or less exemption only seems to apply in the longditudinal direction, so I think the implication is that I do need to restrain it, as described above by oldun.

I was confused because I'd read another summary of strapping that left me unclear, but taken on its own PartA seems pretty clear!

Cheers

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back