Lateral Strapping for ceiling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gable walls bulging a bit, but its within tolerances 'for now' and I'd like to keep it that way. I've been recommended by an SE that I strap my first floor (floor & ceiling) joists at regular centres, and board the loft with ply to prevent my wall bulging any further.

So the first floor (floor) level is fairly self explanatory, take skirting board off, notch out the top of the joists, apply strap across 3 joists and a couple of bricks, job done.
Now the first floor (ceiling) level is a bit more complex.

I can see a few challenges -
1- I have 3x2 Joists, if I boarded this how would I get enough insulation in there if I boarded it? Could I insulate over the boarding? Or can I sister/stack the ceiling joists to increase the height first and use PIR?
2- How do I even 'strap' the joists up here? I had intended to use a twisted bent strap to hook over the inner leaf and strap along the bottom side of a joist, but having had a look up there this evening, I don't think that's possible*.

*My cavity wall (inner leaf & outer leaf) are built up to the same height. I don't appear to have a wall plate. I may have a wall brick (see ? in diagram) at each joist? See below diagram and image. Unfortunately this was the best image I could get.

EDIT: Staring more at that photo leads me to believe there may be a standard wall plate below the 'wall brick' to distribute load as per usual. As the texture of what the 'wall brick' is sat on suggests wood rather than masonry.

1702499706238.png
1702499940796.png

I want to avoid re-engaging the SE, as they've given me enough to think about...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just thinking of possible solutions, could I fabricate a custom strap/angle bracket like this? (see green) this may provide the strength to still allow 'hooking' behind the inner leaf.

1702500484665.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back