Latest regs to lay water mains/ CH pipes in concrete floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I need to replace a wooden suspended floor with concrete. Fine, but can anyone tell me the latest regs for the pipes?

I've got a 1930's lead pipe to replace (should this be 15mm or 22mm?) and some radiator pipes. I guess I need plastic in plastic for the CH(?), and copper in plastic for the mains(?)- is say 32mm plastic waste OK as the conduit?

Do I run in the screed layer and do I need access? How do you hide any access plates if the floor is tiled? All help gratefully received! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can buy pipe in pipe, and plastic is as good as anything in the screed, and meets the water regs.

AFAIK the latest regs say the pipe can be buried but must be removable for inspection. Any fittings you put in the floor must also be inspectible. Not easy if you're tiling the floor.

Ive just renewed mine at home. I ran all the heating in 10mm hep off a manifold to minimise fittings in the floor and used 15mm john guest red and blue conduit to sleeve it. (available at B&Q next day) much cheaper than buyin the pipe already in pipe stuff.

The hard part is bending the pipe up out the floor onto the rad valves. I was tempted to bend it but you could still see the bend above the floor so in the end used elbows. I buried them aswell but atleast i know where they are.

Might sound daft, but if these pipes are within pipes, how can they be inspected properly once fitted? Sounds tempting to box it all in behind false skirting if tiling the floor by the sound of it......

Sponsored Links
They can be pulled out, and the regs only apply to potable hot and cold water.

The way you do it is run from A to B and have any fitting above ground.

The heating you can do what you like, provided it's sound practice and works.

Its questionable to what extent the Water Regulations apply to hot water.

Whilst it may come from a potable source, its no longer potable when its warmed up.

But its a sensible thing to treat it just like a cold water pipe.

Tony

Its questionable to what extent the Water Regulations apply to hot water.

Whilst it may come from a potable source, its no longer potable when its warmed up.

But its a sensible thing to treat it just like a cold water pipe.

Tony

All domestic water comes under the water regs, that's hot and cold, but not heating. :rolleyes:

It was raised by the Thames Water tutor on my Water Regs course.

But in a discussion mode!

But that was more in relation to the need to prevent how water being sucked back into the water mains. That aspect is rarely addressed.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back