Pipes in concrete floor

G

Goldspoon

How easy is it to lay 15mm copper pipes in a concrete kitchen floor? Hot and cold need to go from kitchen to small utility room but kitchen floor is concrete. I can do the plumbing okay, it's just the concrete bit I'm not sure about.

How do I make the channel that the pipes will recess into (what sort of tool/s ?)

What do I have to protect the pipes with?

Do I just then refill with sand/cement mix to hide them again? Any other options so they remain accessible?

I have not checked any building regs yet but are there any for this job I have to consider?

Sponsored Links
Water regs state that domstic hot and cold pipes must be fitted in a duct and not just cemented into the floor. I'm not sure if they have to be laid with no joints as well.

I'm not too up on water regs as I only do gas and heating usually and heating pipes are not under the same regs.

I'm sure others on here will put you (and me) right.

You can locate the pipes in a chase or duct formed by the concrete.
Insulate the pipes to protect them and back fill with a weak sand/cement mix.

From my limited knowledge I thought you had to put domestics in a duct that is removable for checking the pipe work :confused:

Sponsored Links
I wasn't aware of that G4you.
I am doing a large new build installation at the moment using copper( plastic pipe in pipe was considered) and if this was the case it would add a tremendous expense to the project.
That said I am in NI and perhaps things are more relaxed here. :D
Diagram G7.1 c: (section 3.18 ) second edition WRG shows it this way albeit with the screed over the top which may be slightly different from what the OP is proposing.
I am not sure how you would integrate a duct system with large groupings of pipework laid on the floor.
If you go to the trouble of laying a purpose designed duct for a few pipes to leave them accessible then expensive tiling and wooden flooring is not an option as removing these will most likely be a lot more hassle than removing the weak sand/cement mix anyway.
The other option for the OP is of course the plastic pipe in pipe system offered by many suppliers.

my understanding was that burying bare copper pipes under cement mix could cause erosion due to cement composition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back