Latex Plus or Hardi Backerboard or both

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm soon to be moving into my new build house and will be tiling the upstairs ensuite which is approx 2 Sqm and will have a t&g chipboard floor.

Unfortunately the walls are built on top of the floor so removing the chipboard is not really an option. My intention is the use large format porcelain tiles. I have laid these on WBP ply before using mapei keraquick with latex plus and was very impressed with the results.

Do I need to cover the chipboard with hard backerboard first or can I just tile straight on the chipboard with keraquick. Everything I have read about tiling on chip board is says its a big no no and I completely get why, but I can't really avoid it in this case and Im not sure if it's really worth using backboard in such a small room.

What would be the best option here, I would rather avoid using backboard because of the big step I will end up with but I don't want to end up with problems in the long run.

Sponsored Links
What you propose will work. No backer board needed.

Keraquick is an S1 adhesive, so only suitable to be used if overboarding with Hardie/No More Ply.

Tiling straight onto chipboard is not best practice, we would recommend either over boarding with no more ply/use an S2 adhesive like TileMaster Ultimate or a decoupling matting (dural/ditra matting)

Mapei list Keraquick as suitable for applying direct to chipboard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies guys. Ill give the backboard a miss then seen as its such a small area and just use keraquick mixed with latex plus to make it S2.

Bit late to the party but try and find a local supplier of an S2 and see how it compares in contrast to mixing with additives. I would personally use a high end S2 such as the BAL Single part Fastflex which is costly but a more than adequate adhesive. Or I would use 6 mm Hardiebacker tiled over with a flexible adhesive. S1 with an additive is a last resort for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back