Latex Screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help !!!

I've had a 4mm-5mm latex screed laid using mapei renovation screed as I was advised this was the best option for a final floor finish as I was only left with about 7-8mm to work with as a microcement floor I had laid had gone wrong. I was charged £2,600 and although I knew this was expensive I put my trust in the person who laid it. It was primed Saturday, laid on Sunday and has had nobody on it bar the entrance area since then. I was looking to get the floor sealed but I have 100's if not 1000's of dark grey spots that when you sand them have a white powder underneath (see pic). Also the UFH has been off but there is some small cracking already.

Does anyone know what these dark spots are and whether I was advised correctly that this type of floor can be used as a final floor finish.

Attachments

• Latex Screed.jpg
    Latex Screed.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 189
Sponsored Links
According to Mapei, it's not a wearing surface, so should have something on top, like tiles or lvt.

I reckon it's not been mixed properly, and the powder is unhydrated mix lumps. Not sure about the cracking. Normally not a huge issue, as it's covered by a floor covering

Thanks for this. I was sold it as a final floor finish and it's certainly not what I was expecting for the money I paid compared to material outlay. I guess I trusted the wrong person

Sponsored Links
He has come and looked at the floor and is on about sanding it and I apply a Leyland floor paint which will provide the final floor finish. Is this right ?

Where is this? Is it a garage?

It will work up to a point, ie until you drop something heavy on it, or walk over it lots, then it will start breaking up.

It could be fine for 5 years, or could start coming up within weeks, it's difficult to know.

it's the main floor in the downstairs of my house. Approx 100 m2

Wow, ok. That's an interesting look. 100m2 of self leveling is a huge amount to be done. No wonder it cost so much

Did he mix it a bag at a time?

As I can see it, you have 2 options.

1) stay as is, sand and paint- cost is the paint and your time

2)put another floor (tiles, lvt, laminate) over the top now.

I would say 1 is best, as even if it breaks up, it can be fairly easily patched, and then option 2 can be implemented

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back