Lath and plaster repair....please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I recently tried to re-hang a radiator on a lath and plaster wall. The fixings were fine until I fiddled with them and now I have 2 large holes (about 15mm) where the original fixings used to be. I've worked out the hanging bracket is reversible so when I offer it up the other way the new holes will be only 50-60mm from the original ones.I could move the bracket an extra 10mm by hanging it further over on the radiator hanging plate. I was thinking of using pigtail spiral fixings. Does any one else have any other suggestions bearing in mind the room has just been decorated and the wife is not happy.

Sponsored Links
you need to find out where the studs are and fix to them.

Poke a bit of stiff wire sideways through the holes (or put your arm in).

By turning the L-shaped brackets you can get a few inches to play with; otherwise you will need to put a couple of battens (deep rather than thick) against the wall, bridging between at least two studs and screwed to them, and fix the rad brackets to that.

With luck you can position the radiator to hide them. Paint the battens to blend in with the walls.

If not, consider getting a wider and lower rad that will bridge the studs.

Pig Tail ?.......I`ve heard them called pig`s dick :LOL: .....you want Butterfly ones .......and if you`re careful you can get them between the laths.......I can ...because I used to work in loads of old houses ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back