Lath and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best (or a good) way to properly secure a lightswitch backbox in a lath and plaster wall?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I normally cut out the plaster with a stanley knife to the correct size of the switch then use a jigsaw to cut the laths. Then I fit a fast fix box. If thats not possible the other option is to cut a larger section out of the laths and then cut the plaster away about a couple of inchs more then fix in a section of plaster board. Hope that helps.

Thanks Ayen. Does the same apply for an existing box that has worked loose?

If i can't get it sorted would i be ok to reinstall the lead pipe and fit a new gas mantle?

;)

Sponsored Links
Dry line box in a lathe and plaster wall! NO! They always loosen!

Hopefully the box will be on a vertical upright, or a noggin installed between the uprights. No other way to get a decent fixing to be honest.

the wall is actually on about 7' x 1' so i might take it down and stud it, and put noggins in for the switch

always loosen ? strange how the hundreds i have done never have. all depends if the laths become loose if not then the box will not "loosen"

Yukky way to fit a box....

Have you been back to any you have fitted?

nope not a one like i said if the laths are good which to be honest isnt very oten then theres no problems and if the laths arent good then you are ready to board over anyway.

the ones I know have been screwed to a stud (knock, knock..) which has been chiselled away to give the necessary depth.

Gripfill (loverlee stuff) a suitable piece of batten to the laths on the other side of the big hole you have just made by trying to cut a neat square for the box.
Wait until its set and screw a metal back box to it.
Lots of nice plaster and jobs a good un. Well, average un.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back