Laths v Plasterboard - using professional plasterer

I regularly get water damaged old L&P ceilings in [generally] Tenement flats where the ceiling has to be removed, that is the old lime horsehair plaster AND the laths !! i always specify a double board of plasterboard, not simply for the fire separation aspect, but to account for the thickness of the old plaster.

For several years, I worked in listed property, all owned by the Government, traditional L&P was a really, really scarce to find as a material of choise when renovating, L&P was never replaced on a like for like basis, Plasterboard was the go to option.

I did have one domestic flood damaged property where the owner demanded L&P be replaced on a like for like basis then complained long and loud because of a three to four month wait for the plasterers to complete the L&P aspect of the work.

Ken

Sponsored Links
I have plastered onto wooden laths, ( ceilings, walls and patches() many a time with bonding coat and then multi finish, never had a problem at all.

Is that using regular plaster (or lime)? If regular plaster, what would the wait time be between coats for a wall (not a repair area)? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
whole lath ceilings?
whole lath ceilings, but not big ceilings. Prep, then set Dots, string lines, straight edge, screeds, then first coat, scratch, let it go off, then second coat, then multi finish. Each lath ceiling or wall was always sealed before being coated, to cut down suction, pva/bonding coat slurry, worked perfect for me.
Not the same as lime plaster, but it worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back