Lawn Edging..!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for some good (and cheap) lawn edging ideas.

Log roll works out quite expensive after a while, so I'm considering;

1. Using strips of wood sunk into the soil (i.e. grass on one side, gravel on the other)

2. That green plastic edging stuff (i may well have imagined this, does it exist?)

any thoughts appreciated!

Sponsored Links
One idea I had was to use treated round tree stakes (about 2" diameter).

I was going to cut them to different lengths and then hammer them into the ground around the lawn to give an interesting random height edging. Every so often one stake would be hammered deeper to give increased support for the other stakes which would then be screwed to eath other.

Two years ago i used shiplap timber, as used for fencing. lay it lengthways level with the top of the lawn and use wooden stakes to keep it in place. Its pressure treated so should last a far while,its cheap and withstands the odd bash by the lawnmower, unlike the plastic stuff that was there previously!

Sponsored Links
you just reminded me of something i came across when i was at college.

someone did some research into what processes made wood last longest when stuck into the ground and came up with an ancient solution to stopping wood rot - char the wood until it blackens. it will survive far far longer than even chemical treated wood. apparently it works even better with oak for some reason.

if my local sawmill is anything to go by you could get as much waney offcut oak as you could carry for free - in sizes useless for anything else.
might be worth a look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back