Lawn Stripes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am quite fond of grass (the lawn type:LOL: ) and I have been for ages cutting the lawn for my partner's mum and dad. When i do this, there is nothing more satisfying than striping it like a football pitch. I can do lines,squares diamonds etc etc.

So, when i moved into my new house, i went to B&Q and paid £100 quid for a lawnmower with a roller on the back, especially for the stripes.

BUT, but the stupid grass will not stripe, no matter what.

Anyone got any tips???

Sponsored Links
I wasunder the impression that as long as it had a roller, it will stripe, as its the bending of the blades of grass that gives it the lighter(towards you) and the darker(away from you).

Sponsored Links
Thay have an acre of grass, thus have a ride on. I would be lucky if i could do a 3 point turn on my lawn with that!!!

hey do however have a very expensive lawn cutter, like the ones they have a wimbledon, extreamly heavy with a missive combine harvester type cutter on the front with a big steal roller drum on the back, i might give that a go!

Any other ideas, is there a striping type tool!!!

daft that this sounds i once tied a brick on the back end to give mine more weight.

gave up and gravled the lot

OK, i am going to try on friday, i will report back with whats better, a brick or a bag of sand :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

depends on which is heavier.

i actually tied the brick on so it was sitting across the handles, but at the business end rather than the handle end if you see what i mean

got you, i plan to rest the bag over the 'business end' so that most of the weight is over the roller.

just to check, you are cutting it towards and away from the house (not side to side)?

I'm guessing you have a Rotary, not a Cylinder, mower :(

john D

yes, so that the eye has a greater lenght to see whats happening (or not in my case)

Breezer.
I reakon the weight of it will help it stay on. I mght even cut it tomorrow evening im that excited !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back