Lawn Help - I've been ripped off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let me tell you a story:

The wife and I wanted to re turf our lawn as it was really shabby and had missing patches. Not being a very good gardener we decided to get the professionals in.
Stupid mistake no.1, I accepted the first quote of £300 for 20 m2. When he arrived he said he had difficulty getting the turf and upped the price to £360.
Stupid mistake no.2, I accepted.
He then said that as there used to be a tree, he would have to use some thicker turf to cover the roots, that's why it's a different colour!
Stupid mistake no.3, I accepted all of his BS because I put my trust in a professional.
The job was done while I was busy painting the conservatory wall. When he was finished he told me the unevenness would go down when people started walking on the lawn in about 3 weeks. I paid him (in cash, doh!) and off he went. It was then I discovered he'd not taken away the old grass but filled my wheelybin with it. That took two trips to the tip to get rid of.
Now at this point, you're all shaking your head at how someone could be so gullable. And you're right, I am gullable, and naive, and stupid. I know nothing of re turfing or gardening in general, that's why I paid and trusted a professional to do it for me. The professional I chose to trust turned me over big time as you'll see.

As I was watering my not so beautiful new turf:
I started to wonder why it was so un levelled so I peeked underneath and this is what I found:
It was so uneven only about 50% of the turf was actually touching the (hard compacted) soil.
I spent the next 3 days (I'm not in good shape) digging raking and removing about 2 tonne of hardcore, roots but mainly my old grass that had been dug into the soil. I levelled it off, heeled it, added 100L of top soil and relaid (quite badly) the now probably dead turf:

I am going to contact him and ask for a full refund.
What I would like from you guys is your objective professional opinion of his work that I can use (anonymously of course) to justify the refund.
Also a specific set of steps he should have taken so I can ask him why he didn't do it properly.
Also the name of any organization I can contact to take this matter further if he refuses to refund.

Thanks all in advance.

Sponsored Links
Everyone has to learn the lessons in life one way or another.

1) use a site like checkatrade to find good reliable professionals. Its like ebay with the ratings system.

2) always get a few quotes and go off that

3) if he suggested cash payment be wary, never any come back and legally very shady!

I would contact him but don't get your hopes up! Think of it as some good exercise and fresh air...

I spent the next 3 days (I'm not in good shape) digging raking and removing about 2 tonne of hardcore, roots but mainly my old grass that had been dug into the soil. I levelled it off, heeled it, added 100L of top soil and relaid (quite badly) the now probably dead turf:

You may be pleasantly surprised with the rain we are having how it will pick up,that is assuming you are enjoying the April showers.

Andehh - I actually used TrustATrader.com. He didn't have any reviews but he was the only one that rang back! I have learnt the lesson but thanks for reminding me about the 3 quotes, I'm in danger of forgetting, the wife only reminds me of it 4 or 5 times a day since this episode! ;)

enyam - Yes, the weather has been perfect. For the 3 days of digging it was hot enough to dry out the soil for easier raking but not too hot for me. I watered the hay on Monday evening and it's been persisting it down ever since. There is a god! :D I hope it does pick up, though as you can see from the pictures, it wasn't that good to start with!

Sponsored Links
enyam - Yes, the weather has been perfect. For the 3 days of digging it was hot enough to dry out the soil for easier raking but not too hot for me. I watered the hay on Monday evening and it's been persisting it down ever since. There is a god! :D I hope it does pick up, though as you can see from the pictures, it wasn't that good to start with!

A bit of patience now and a bit of warm sun will do wonders.

Worry not - we did a spur of the moment turf of our back garden, using end of season turf from Homebase that took 3 trips to get home. Never done it before.

Barrows and barrows of golden gravel out, liner up, turf rolled in and laid out, cut around our stepping stones and so on. Looked like yours - bit yellowed, some patches a bit iffy. Did the whole watering thing for several days, it went lovely and green.Then winter hit and they whole thing started to look rather sorry for itself...

Turns out we're on MAJORLY clay soil. I mean, you can hammer in a trowel and take cubes of solid clay out - think modelling clay, it's about right.

In the winter rains/cold, large patches drowned...literally turned to marsh. Then it froze. Come Feb, it was looking like the one end was a mud patch.

After a good mowing, a lot of raking out the dead, lots of spearing the ground with a fork, a reseed of the bad bits, several feeds with lawn food and some better weather, it's coming along a lot better. Still quite bare in places, but recovering..

God knows what we're going to do about the underlying soil, mind you..

Make sure you leave him appropriate feedback!!

Lawn will be fine IMO, give it a few weeks with this rain we're having and then the summer. Grass is pretty tough stuff!

this isn't really advice, but support.... given the circumstances you ended up in, i think you have done just about the best job possible of fixing it yourself.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it's already looking a bit better. We'll see how it gets on.

I'm still gutted I paid the money and did the job myself! :cry:
Let it go Smudge, let it go.

Thanks wrathkeg, I tried. Had to rush the last couple of hours, darkness was setting in.

Alarm, it's the Virgin Media cable. They managed to completely severe the phone cable which is attached to it in at least 3 different places. It's been repaired now and I've tucked it back under the carpet.

LOL, you`ll cut it again you know that don`t you.
Should have made a trench, covered it with some slate and soil then laid the turf.

Personally hate them, they drilled into my garden wall and lashed a cable across the front garden. All fair and well, but I never ordered it.
They got the house mixed up!!
They have now removed it but are arguing over who is going to repaint the rendering they damaged, could be fun :D

I'm sure your grass will be okay. I moved into a new house last year and they turfed the lawn for me. I have had to do a lot of maintenance and if it wasn't so big I would have dug out all the hardcore etc that I know is underneath. It's not bad but it is patchy and I have had to repair lots but I can tell you it's amazing how it has come back. I moved in last April and fertilised the lawn in the Autumn and a couple of weeks ago. It's looking pretty good so I definitely think yours will too.

now been at mine for the last 5 month's (don't start it doesn't end), new build house with no drainage and laid directly onto subsoil and old brick were the previous multistory stood.
i am now at the point were i have just got to lay my new lawn after the decking project and the barking area for kids stuff.
sometimes i wish i never started!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back