Turfing next to existing lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've filled a large hole in the garden and plan to turf over the foot or so of soil which has been placed there. It's next to and will join an existing lawn so I'm wondering how to get the level correct between the two and to make sure the grass looks fairly similar. I plan to keep leveling the soil for a couple of months, allowing it time to settle how much lower should I leave it so that when the turf is added it's at the same level as the original?

View media item 63188
any tips?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
don't know about the levelling, but I wouldn't worry too much about the similarity of the grass. At least, I gave some turf from my lawn to someone to patch their own and though the colour and texture looked very different at first, within a few months of growing it was a perfect match and there is no visible 'join'.

not related to grass, but to your sleeper wall: how did you fasten the sleepers together? I'm looking to do something similar myself.

Take the turf from the existing lawn, somewhere it wont be missed, it will be identical.
Then reseed the donor patch or make a flower bed/feature. Not the easiest thing in the world to lift the turf using a spade, but you might get a machine from the local hire shop.

Tramp down the topsoil until its solid, some even put a vibrating plate on it. A piece of sod sitting on the topsoil will give you a guide, against the old lawn. Then when you get your desired level rake lightly and lay the new sod, watering well for the first few days.

don't know about the levelling, but I wouldn't worry too much about the similarity of the grass. At least, I gave some turf from my lawn to someone to patch their own and though the colour and texture looked very different at first, within a few months of growing it was a perfect match and there is no visible 'join'.

not related to grass, but to your sleeper wall: how did you fasten the sleepers together? I'm looking to do something similar myself.

They are held by galvanised straps below the surface with damp proof membrane between the wall and soil plus the wooden posts you might see above the surface. Not sure how long they will last so may drill down and put some rods in one day.

Sponsored Links
If you want to match the turf you will need to do some work on your existing lawn. A combination of feeding and scarifying.

Heavy scarifying come autumn time then overseeding will bring up some fresh growth more similar in colour to your new turf.

If you want to match the turf you will need to do some work on your existing lawn. A combination of feeding and scarifying.

Heavy scarifying come autumn time then overseeding will bring up some fresh growth more similar in colour to your new turf.

Thanks, the existing lawn isn't the best and there are patches I plan to fill in too so I'll probably do it all together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back