Lawn trouble please help

Sorry Robbo, but looking at the puddling, the compacted top, and everything else, you need a either a major rework, or to Turf it, but even if you were to turf it, you'd still get the drainage problems. It's more than likely that because of the puddling, that you've killed the seeds, but as you need to water them to get them to grow, you're on a hiding to nothing. If you didn't have the drainage issues, then the water would have soaked in, and the seeds would have grown. But without a bit of deep digging, you don't know why the soil isn't draining properly. There could be clay underneath, or it might just be a crap soil issue that needs more compost or vegetable matter in it; or you might even need drainage pipes in the soil down about 18".

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you over watered it. Seed needs to be kept damp but not saturated until it starts growing, if you water too much before it germinates it causes problems. Once its germinated then it needs more water but nowhere near the same as turf.

Oh dear, doesn't sound good. :(

lostinthlight, I put down pre-seed fertiliser when I first seeded but not on the recent overseeding.

I did wonder whether I was over watering it. The problem is, although it puddles it seems to dry out very quickly too. If I gave it a thorough watering in the morning it would be bone dry when I got home from work.

I don't know if I have the will power to dig deep and sort out the drainage. I am not even after a perfect lawn, just a bit more green.

If I just wanted to do the best with the soil I have and get something acceptable, do you think the best option would be to turf it? Would I still need to put down manure/compost underneath the turf?

Appreciate everyone's help.

So, havng further info from you, it's more than possible that if the water puddled, but was gone by the evening, then your soil could be fine, but you just overwatered the seed. A light watering would have been sufficient. What about doing a small patch of a few sqm to see if a feed, seed and light watering gives a better respone.

Turfing is a pretty (although not as cheap) way of sorting out a lawn. It gives you a good topsoil layer to work from, and the ready grown grass is already there. Your lawn look flat enough, so it'd only require a light raking to break up the top layer, then place each turf in a brick pattern, making sure you push each turf tight into the previous, so that you reduce the inevitable gaps that can appear as they dry. You'd then thoroughly water the lawn each day for a week, and finally, fill gaps with sand to encourage the grass to bridge across.

Sponsored Links
Without being on site, it's difficult to make a proper call, but the homebase product is more for feeding the lawn to keep it in good condition. I suspect you need to dig in some well rotted hores manure to feed the lawn, and improve the drainiage. Give the reseed a go, and see what the results are, but I reckon you'dd end up turfing the lawn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back